This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Bootstrap_10209909658608869
Mark Hanson almost 8 years ago

No, they are not. Everyone I have spoken with at Xcel has indicated that a sub-meter can not be used. A separate service with a separate meter is required.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Joel Acker almost 8 years ago

I agree with Mark. When an Xcel Energy representative spoke at a local MN EV owners meeting a number of months ago he told the group that sub-metering was not an option with Xcel for the EV rate plan.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Tom Ezdon almost 8 years ago

A separate meter makes this too cost prohibative

0 Reads

Default_avatar
James Ehrler almost 8 years ago

No. And it turns a win-win into a lose-lose.

Since cars are mobil and have relatively frequent turn over they will often not last long enough for payback on a second meter even if the owner doesn't move.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
John Dunlop over 7 years ago

Xcel’s electric rate book and promotional materials are contradictory. Section 5 of the rate book specifically allows sub-metering: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xn/Regulatory%20&%20Resource%20Planning/Minnesota/Me_Section_5.pdf

Residential Electric Vehicle Service shall be separately served and metered and must at no time be connected to facilities serving customer's other loads. Metering may be installed as a sub-meter behind the customer’s main meter, in which case consumption under this rate schedule will be subtracted from the main meter for purposes of billing customers non-Electric Vehicle electricity usage.

While their on-line EV FAQs specifically require a separate service and parallel meter in order to engage in the EV rate: https://www.xcelenergy.com/staticfiles/xe-responsive/Marketing/MN-EV-FAQ.pdf

Why is parallel metering set up required? Why can’t I set up a sub-meter?

Separate, parallel meters are considered an industry best practice and they’re what we require for all additional services – including this new Minnesota EV Rate. As you can probably guess homes and their electrical systems vary, so we expect customer costs associated with this metering configuration will vary as well. Preliminary conversations with electricians have suggested estimates between $500 and $1,500.

Furthermore, Xcel staff specified that the parallel meter must be installed literally horizontal with our existing meter, which would be difficult. Due to the fact that power to our residence would have to be turned off by Xcel, our electrician quoted us a cost of $3500 in order to provide the parallel service.

Xcel should be required to allow sub-metering, just as Dakota Electric currently allows.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Gary Schettl over 7 years ago

I'm an Xcel customer and had the sub-metering option quoted, (regardless if Xcel allows it). The cost to convert my home to "sub-metering" is $1,475. The cost to convert my home to "dual-metering" is $2,850. Either option is far too costly. Instead I signed up for Xcel's time-of-day rate which provides less expensive energy to me and my electric cars, while also giving me an incentive to balance the daily load for Xcel by deferring the majority of my electric consumption to off-peak night time hours. I spend $750 per year to charge two electric cars, so it's unrealistic to think a $1,475 or $2,850 electric meter conversion would be attractive or justifiable.

0 Reads