This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Default_avatar
Sam Villella almost 8 years ago

Absolutely- The Coops have taken the lead in EV charging rate programs due to the fact that they are mainly distribution utilities. They have actively incentivized waiting to charge EV's until after the peak to control the load and thereby offering discounted rates. The IOU's should follow the Coop's lead. EV load is the first major addition to the grid which could be actively directed to minimize impact on the demand curve.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Joel Acker almost 8 years ago

I agree completely with Sam. He said it very well. Coops like Dakota Electric have done an excellent job with this. The investor owned utilites, like Xcel, should follow their lead.

Dakota Electric offers two programs for EV owners. One that includes a low $0.044/kWh for the off-peak hours & no electricity access during peak hours, thus preventing an EV owners from accidentally charging their car during peak hours. Their second program is a more typical TOU rate structure. That plan costs slightly more overnight, but allows the EV owners the flexibility to decide when to charge. This is an absolutely fantastic way to structure their rate plans.

I would like to see the overnight costs be even lower than $0.044/kWh. Georgia Power only charges their EV rate plan customers $0.014/kWh during overnight hours. The lower the cost for electricity during overnight/off-peak hours, the greater the incentive for EV owners to sign up.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Justin Dritz almost 8 years ago

I agree with Sam and Joel, I have also had the concern of when plans eliminate or significantly penalize the peak rate. Users may have a need to charge during the day on occasion, especially with shorter range vehicles. If any cost savings/incentives are wiped out or significantly reduced but that higher rate, there is little incentive to switch to a cheap rate at night if you are just going to be gouged later in the week. This results in users staying on their regular flat rate plan.

0 Reads