Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Mark Chatterton 3 months ago

In our area—Mound, MN—Frontier has not provided quality internet service at the speed and price they advertise and enroll their customers into.

Quality: Internet connections drop out regularly, requiring cycling power on the modem to re-establish connection. Frontier technical support tells us this is an "area problem." Frontier technical support and customer service stated to me on at least five occasions that this is a known issue; their equipment cannot handle the volume of network traffic in this area.

Price: Frontier's solution to this problem, offered by their technical & customer service agents on March 19, was to switch us to fiber for faster speed but at an increased cost of $15/month (60% increase from our current monthly charge). I told Frontier technical support this is a bait-and-switch; we are not asking for a service upgrade. We simply want reliable service at the speed and price we enrolled in. Frontier customer service then offered to issue us a credit against the extra $15/month for one year. Beyond that, no promises.

Frontier's "area problem" should not be fixed by reaching into the wallets of its customers. We hold up our end of the bargain by paying our bill in full and on time. Frontier has an obligation to provide reliable service at the speed & price paid for. If it needs to switch some customers to fiber to fix this until the area equipment is improved, that should not be a burden on those switched customers.

7 Reads

Default_avatar
Wally Rosier 3 months ago

In our area, Frontier advertises that their service is MB DSL service. I have had their DSL since it came into this area and have never received over 2MB (their own speed tests) yet they continue to charge for 6 MB service. Their own technical staff have finally admitted their equipment is only capable of 2 MB service yet they continue to advertise and charge for 6 MB. Since they have no competition they are not held accountable by market (IE: customers leaving for better service/product). This needs to change open the market for all providers, PLEASE !!

5 Reads

Default_avatar
David Davis 3 months ago

We encounter inbound calls on a regular basis where we cannot hear anyone on the other end. We tell the person to call back or we call the number displayed as the caller ID. During a really bad stretch of there calls we complained heavily to Frontier for days. After several days of stating they find no issues, they finally admitted to some sort of programming issue in some relay point/station and that it was being fixed. It is a more infrequent occurrence now, but we still get these calls where we can't hear the person on the other end and can only hope they hear us and try to call us back.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Rachel Brophy 3 months ago

I learned today that the my internet service with Frontier is so terrible is that we are set up for 6MB though we can only handle 1 which is incredibly slow. My rates just went up from the intro rate of 19.99 to the rate of 34.99. I was lucky to have service half the time, so the thought of paying double isn't something I am interested in. I tried to cancel and was told that because I used my Amazon gift card they gave new subscribers I had unwittingly signed myself into a 2 year contract. I had asked if there was a contract commitment when I signed up and was told "No." I had a tech scheduled to come and reconfigure my speeds to match my capabilities, but I ended up cancelling the work order because they couldn't guarantee that I wouldn't get charged for the tech visit even though it was to fix something they'd done wrong to begin with. In the past 2 days alone I have spent more than 2 hours on the phone with people at Frontier. I feel that they offer a substandard service using deceptive business practice to get and keep customers.

6 Reads

Bootstrap_10217154158266285
Don Razskazoff 3 months ago

I subscribe to Frontier DSL and pay that premium. I do not receive the advertised speed, yet I pay for it. Also, I reported my telephone service was dead on June 30, 2018. They informed me that a technician would get the repair ticket on July 19, 2018. The technician showed up on July 19 and repaired the problem within an hour from the exterior. Three weeks is dangerously long for a senior citizen to be without 911 capability. The only good thing that I in previous years had difficulty with is that they immediately credited my account for the non-service. comment...

5 Reads

Default_avatar
Lindsay Meulners 2 months ago

Frontier has not provided the internet service they stated I would received when I signed my 2 year contract. Our internet speeds are about half of what they advertise and completely cuts out multiple times throughout the day. There have been instances when the internet has gone out for hours. I have called Frontier technical support and customer service more times than any customer should ever have to call a company and I have only had service for about a year and a half. I would estimate that I call this company for problems roughly 4 times a month (over 20 times total). Every time I speak with someone they provide me different answers or solutions, and never an apology or refund (I had to request a refund when my internet was not working for multiple days). I should have known it would be a bad experience when the complete set-up took almost a month because the first time around they mailed the modem to an address that does not exist (again, I had to request a refund for the first 2-3 weeks I could not access the internet at all, they did not automatically reimburse me). Their service, customer experience and quality is the worst of any company I have ever had to deal with and they should be held accountable for the time and money wasted by their customers.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Ronald Kitzmann 2 months ago

Frontier underperformed consistently with Internet service despite several calls to customer service. They sold me a higher speed service that made absolutely no difference, but at increased monthly cost. After more calls to attempt a fix and receiving conflicting information, we cancelled the service plus the landline we had for 36 years. After cancelling they charged an early cancel fee of $100 for their "premium" service. I filed an earlier comment with the state and the BBB with no satisfaction.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Walter Schleisman about 1 month ago

comment...Hello, we have Frontier in Two Harbors MN. We continually encounter times when there is virtually no service speed. Even emails won't load. Other times it is just extremely slow, but it kind of works. It makes no sense to me that I pay the same amount for modem speed as I do for 50mb speed in Minneapolis. If they can only provide terrible internet, they should only be able to charge for terrible internet. Right now they have a virtual monopoly and seem to be abusing it by charging regular prices for irregular internet service.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Kevin Skule about 1 month ago

I have Frontier internet and phone at 2 locations and I can't get anything more than .24 MBPS at either location. Dial up would be faster although the Frontier phone lines aren't any better. I constantly told that its due to congestion and being at the end of the line and that their equipment is just not up to par. The reliability of the service is weak at best with very frequent outages. To pay $34.99 per month for service that is substandard is outrageous. They need to upgrade their equipment if they are going to charge prices that should be getting me significantly faster and more reliable service. If you want to call Frontier customer service, you'd better be prepared to wait on hold for 45 minutes to an hour every time guaranteed. When you are remote and depend on internet and phone for Freeze alarms. thermostat control and security camera coverage you need a fast, reliable internet and phone service If they cant deliver on that, then either get new equipment that can or cut your pricing so you don't gouge customers for $34.99/month for a substandard product.

4 Reads

Default_avatar
Ben FisherMerritt about 1 month ago

I have Frontier "DSL" (I put that in quotes because of the laughable speeds) in Holyoke MN. I have called support a couple dozen times for everything from a complete disconnection of service to incredibly slow service. I also recently discovered that they were raising the price of my internet without notifying me. It appears that despite denials from their techs they throttle streaming services (see attached speedtest.com vs fast.com test). I pay DSL prices for dialup speeds and the only thing they will ever tell me is that I live in a "High Demand Area" but all that really means is they're too cheap to add lines and give better service. They even have the unmitigated gall to charge a "line upgrade fee" now even though they are obviously NOT upgrading my service. I also can't get the "Broadband Lite" service at my house that is the less expensive 1mbps service they ONLY sell the 6mbps "Broadband Max"... and they say they're required to provide 75% of the speed they claim to offer, which is completely idiotic. Sadly, I have literally no other option at my house.

4 Reads

Default_avatar
Gloriann McDonald about 1 month ago

We have had Frontier for land line (previously) and internet for more than 25 years. They have never provided the advertised speeds and, like other commenters above, we have always been given the run around from the company. They have admitted on numerous occasions that their lines cannot provide the speed they advertise (and that we are paying for all these years), yet they refuse to upgrade their lines so they can provide us the service we need.

To make matters worse, they are the only provider--besides satellite--that we have access to. This is a monopoly without regulation. Please make them provide the service they have charged us for and get us a refund for all those years of being robbed!

4 Reads

Default_avatar
Paul Ferrise about 1 month ago

When we first moved to our area, we only had DSL available. We were charged a standard rate that should have allowed us 2MB of service, however, the service on its best day was 128K. Could not have more than 1 computer going at any given time. After speaking to them, they gave me a reduced rate for 3 months, then back to the standard charge. When calling again a year later to discuss that I would be switching to a satellite service, they informed me that they could get us cable service to our area. I suggested that was impossible knowing the technology was not available. They then suggested their satellite partner who would guarantee us 20MB of service, no cap. I said I would be interested in this service. The service technician came out and told me that there was an order to cancel my service that day however, the service technician did not do the disconnect knowing something was not correct. He also told me that there is no such thing as a service with no cap. AND, that their service could not point to a satellite faster than 5MB and that I would have to put in a large dish to support even the 5MB and a cost that would be have affordable. Fortunately, and the fact that I work from home, the service tech did not disconnect me. He even noticed that my bandwidth was set very low. He increased it to support my service needs and to get closer to what I was paying for. This helped until I finally switch to another satellite provider. Frontier customer service has always been problematic and inconsistent hence why I will leave Frontier the moment another provider becomes available in our rural area.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
donald Oldenburg about 1 month ago

Quality of the internet is poor at best. Slow speed and unreliable connection is the norm. The response is typically that it is your equipment not theirs that is the problem. The customer service line typically goes to a call center outside of the US and 99% of the time there is lack of response. The best experience I have had with resolving a problem was to pretend that I wanted to add services and then was connected to a US agent. Who by the way laughed at me when I expressed my unhappiness with the service I was receiving. Once I requested her Manager things got serious and the apologies began. It did get my service fixed which had been non functioning for over a week and was told I would receive a refund that never took place. This same course of action has took place several times. If they did not have a monopoly in my area for service I am sure they would be out of business.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
DAVID CARLSON about 1 month ago

We live in the Chisago Lakes area and are bound to Frontier. The service is sub-par, we also have to reset the router all the time. The service is so slow during the school year during the evening hours I cannot work from home until after 10:00 pm. At one time you could go to the Frontier web site and under support test your speed, after this lawsuit started they removed that. if there was anyway to get another provider we would try it over the service currently provided.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Deb Murawski about 1 month ago

We have a small business in Ely, MN. Our first real frustrating time with Frontier was Sept. 1st, 2017. Our internet was down, it was the Friday of Labor Day Weekend, I was told there were no techs available and it would be Tuesday before a tech could look at it. Our reservation system is web based, and our customers expect to have internet. Well Tuesday morning about 7 a.m. our internet started working. Well a tech didn't have to come out and look at it, someone in the central office had changed the port our dsl was plugged into. They plugged it into a correct port and now we had internet! Next major time was June 22, 2018, we were down and I was told it would be June 30th before someone could look at it. I was dumbfounded, we're a business that depends on the internet and they're telling me it would be eight days before someone could look at it. I couldn't believe the response so I called back a couple hours later, same answer so I went to the library to print out our registration forms. I got back and thought this can't be right so I called again, and again was given the same answer. Reason I was told was "you're in a non escalation area". I couldn't believe this so I called the attorney generals office who referred me to the MN Dept. of Commerce. I left a message and received a call back after about 15 minutes, I spoke with Diane and she offered to make a call on our behalf. Well, someone showed up that afternoon. The resolution? Someone in the central office moved our connection to a port that didn't support bonded dsl. Now we're at Sunday Sept. 9th, 2018, the internet goes down. We used our phone as a hotspot to see reservations and used some old forms we had then programmed our cc machine to grab a phone line to dial out instead of the internet. Monday morning after being on the phone for an hour with Frontier, I was told our account was suspended. We were all paid up to date, no reason given in the notes and no explanation as to why. I don't know....retaliation???? We're still getting billed for bonded dsl and have had regular dsl for well over a month.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Luke Rasmussen about 1 month ago

Over the past 2 years we have experienced many of the same issues mentioned already with frequent outages and extremely slow speeds. The slow speeds are extremely problematic after 4pm when speeds slow to a crawl because of the extra usage in the area as people come home from work. After calling their Customer Service multiple times, I receive the same response that the don't have adequate equipment in our area and that upgrades are not a priority for their company due to our population not being high enough. This is extremely frustrating since they have a monopoly as being the only internet provider in the area.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Sue Breska about 1 month ago

Service is good where I live, although when there was an outage earlier this year, Frontier told me it would be over a week before a tech could come to check it out. Guess it was assumed that it was on my end when it turned out the entire town was out of service. Shouldn't they have known that? Service was restored later that same day but for them to blow me off that was is saying something about their "customer service." Service is terrible northwest of here outside of Moose Lake/Sturgeon Lake near the Aitkin county line. I have elderly friends who live there & they have frequent outages. They've repeatedly called Frontier, as have I & their daughter who lives in Florida. There's no cell service there & they depend on the landline. When I called Frontier to report that I hadn't been able to reach my friends for several days (phone just rang & voice mail didn't kick in), I asked if the line could be checked to make sure it was working. I was told that the customer service rep was only able to verify if my friends had an active account. I wanted to report that the line may be out of order. The rep finally said she'd make a note of it & pass it along to whichever department handles outages. (I don't remember what that department was called.) My friends have told me that when they complain, they're told that Frontier is aware of the problem but equipment in the area is old & needs to be replaced. There are several of my friends' neighbors who also experience these frequent outages. When I try to reach my friends by phone to check on them & there's no answer for days at a time, it's frustrating to wonder if there's a phone issue again or if something has happened to them & they weren't able to call for help. This is inexcusable!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Robert Moffatt about 1 month ago

Frontier is real slow and connectivity is often broken

1 Read

Default_avatar
sarah king about 1 month ago

We have Frontier in the Chisago Lakes area. We have 2 phone lines (1 personal land line and 1 for a business fax line). We were given a phone number that was recently another person living in the same area and have received around 20 phone calls a day on any given day for the previous person who had our phone number. Also, when we call outbound from our land line phone, it shows up on other people's caller ID some random company name that is nothing that is associated with our business. When contacting customer service regarding this, they have no IDEA what I am talking about or how to change it. Our speed of internet is terrible to the point of almost unusable half of the month, as well as having to continually restart our router. There is usually a few times a day that our internet is just not working. For our business, we send faxes regularly between our company locations and we get billed for every single fax that we send which adds about $100 to each month bill. These are all US based faxes and should not be billed individually. Every month we have to call to try to get this straightened out and 4 years later they continue to do the same thing. This company is so hard to deal with.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Robert Young about 1 month ago

When I first signed up (the only service available) they made me pay for a phone which i did not want or need. It 6 years for them to finally drop my phone service. Up until then i was getting a consistent 5 mb of speed through phone line and once I dropped the phone I'm consistently getting 1.75 on average. I called and talked to a support problem and after 45 minutes his conclusion was i was set to recieve 6 mb of service but that is not guaranteed, and then he said is there anything else i can help you with? for 5 mb I was paying 62.00 wich included the phone. For 1.75 mb i'm paying 51.00. i was better off keeping the phone. These guys are thieves and we need competition in my area so we have a choice 55012

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jamie Mitchell about 1 month ago

We live in Castle Rock Township just east of Farmington. Frontier has been our only choice for phone and DSL. My son once described Frontier as the worst telecommunications company in the country. I would find it hard to disagree with that. Over the last 19 years, we have fought with Frontier about a dozen times. Our long distance has been slammed at least twice to where we have gotten a $500 bill for long distance that should have been less than $20. My wife has tried to deal with their "customer service" more than a dozen times, including going in person to try to reach a human being. The DSL we pay for mostly kind of works -- badly. There is almost no time when we actually achieve the download speed we are supposed to, not to mention the putrid upload speed. I regularly have to reset my network because their service goes down. This is a company that has shown disdain for its customers on a regular basis. Sure would be nice if the PUC put us out of our misery by giving them the death penalty.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Bryce Beckstrom about 1 month ago

MPUC Docket No. P407, 405/CI-18-122

OAH Docket No. 19-2500-35222

Frontier Communications Customer

Bryce Beckstrom

Alborn, MN

I and many others living in Alborn, MN are sick of the poor service from Frontier Communications. The internet speeds are slow, the reliability is spotty, and customer service is a far cry from helpful. We consistently deal with line speed issues or the internet going down all together. When you call for support they try to blame it on customer equipment verses doing any real work. After a couple calls they finally will come out to look into the issue and possible fix it as well.

They overcharge for the speed they advertise, which is not even what we get anyways. I once had Frontier customer support tell me they are surprised I even get internet from them because I am just out of there service distance. So what they did (according to them) is put boosters in so they could bring me slow internet but charge me the same rate as everyone else. They also are the only game in the area for broadband; which explains a lot about how they treat us. Their billing department once told me not to use auto pay because if they mess up you may as well just get it as a credit to your account because you will not see that money again.

Another thing to make note of is their practice of rented equipment. I used to buy and maintain my own equipment in the house (router/modem). Every time I would call support for connection or speed issues, and once they found out it was my equipment, they would say it is my problem due to faulty equipment. After having this occur too many times I broke down and rented their equipment. Well time went by and when I would call in they would say it has to be the equipment and I need to purchase a new one. I would point out I rent the equipment so they should replace their faulty hardware, their excuse would be that the equipment was over a year old or make something else up. In one case they refused to troubleshoot the issue due to their equipment.

I will be happy to provide speed tests so you can visually see how slow it is. Also I would like to add the techs that are on site are great. This is not their fault and blame should not be placed upon their shoulders. They share some of what Frontier does wrong. Like in the case of when they pulled pairs of copper down past my place and the techs explained it is not enough for the current customers let alone growth and Frontier did not care. Frontier premeditates having poor service at high prices.

Below are notes I took, when experiencing major issues and remember too, of communications with Frontier support. The last major issue was in the beginning of 2017, you will notice how it took almost 3 months to sort of resolve.

08/03/2015:

Called at 4:15PM on until 5PM

They are sending a tech. I have received a one month refund. I was informed by Tech Support and billing that I was supposed to be receiving 6mb.

08/04/2015:

Internet was slow and I noticed the advertisied speed in the web admin went from 1.8mb to 1.3mb.

08/05/2015:

Internet speed was horrible. Could not watch netflix as it buffered about every 1-3 minutes regardless of device used.

08/06/2015:

Called at 9:00AM I was told I should be receiving 2.6mb.Then after discussion I am told I should receive at least 1.3mb.I was also told that you need a 3mb connection to stream video, this is not correct.Tech will be coming out today between 8AM-5Pm.Call was with a Bryan.

11/23/2015:

Called 4:45PM no internet ticket# 1117140 Tech coming Tuesday between 8AM-5PM to check line.

02/13/2016:

Called lost internet again. Blinking DSL not internet light. Call a couple weeks ago and I was supposed to recieve a replacement router which I never did. This is the third or forth time this happened this year. Tech support claims to be sending me a replacement router. I have not heard back from them however as they said after they run tests and attempt repair they will call me back.

02/14/2017:

Called back, never heard from tech support again from the following night. The network speed according to the web admin has gotten slower and slower as the night passed (over a two and half hour period). I restarted the router and waited about 10 minutes but the speed did not approve. I than called support and the speed went back up to 5464 Kbps down and 767 Kbps up. I have inquired about the router that is supposed to be sent. Tech support put me on hold for somewhere around 15 minutes with no update. They refused to send a replacment without troubleshooting. I will call again another time.

04/14/2017:

Called somewhere around 8:30AM; speaking with Lucy; Billing me $60 for the upgrade to 12mb in which I am only getting 10mb. She transfered me out to an unkown extension in which I waited 5 minutes hung up and called back. Time 8:47AM. Got back on with Jennifer; she is claiming to be able to help. Jennifer corrected the current bill back to $34.99. Time 9:11AM. Trying to tell me the 12mb plan costs $59.99; originally the discussion was $45.99. Jennifer is transfering me to a Escalation manager; Laura.They are pulling the call history and will get back to me. They will email me the mail address to the president to file a complaint.

04/24/2017:

Called in the AM but was too busy to complete the call.

04/25/2017:

Agent transfered me to a escalation manager, Fernado. Repeating everything with Fernado to get him up to speed. They are going to pull the recording from April 14th and the recording from early March. Fernado said it will take 48-72 hours to complete this request. Call 1-203-614-5600 to file a complaint; this is a number to corporate.

04/28/2017:

8:10AM

Frontier charged me the full $92.68. Now I have to wait until the billing shows up on their end so I can get it refunded. Escalation Manager Dorrian is pulling the recordings from March and April 14th. He will contact me once completed; approximate time an hour. Current time 8:33AM.

I called again later that afternoon after work. End of call she said she was giving me a credit of $15 to bring the following month bill down to $44.99 until they can get everything sorted out.

04/29/2017:

12:45AMish

The escalation manager called me back to tell me they fixed the billing issue. My bank account still said otherwise but I will check sometime the following week.

05/08/2017:

Called corporate offices (office of the president) @8:20AM. Checked bill this morning and it is supposed to be at $44.99 but it is at $59.99. Brenda EMAIL: brenda.johnson@ftr.com; Reference my name and account number in the subject line. Brenda's office number 1-844-320-4445 Ext. 1124207. Brenda is crediting $16.11 to my account to correct the current billing from $59.99 to $44.99 for the month of May. Brenda is attempting to fix the promo credit for the 12mb connection. Brenda added the $15 promo credit to correct the billing; Order Confirmation: 57083506.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
James Mortenson about 1 month ago

I have talked to many customer service centers over the years and Frontier has the "WORST" customer service representatives. I was told by one customer service representative that they have multiple service centers and some of them know nothing about Frontier and how it works, they are more like a call center versus an employee of Frontier who actually works with the products and knows how everything works. It was almost like talking to tree to get some of them to understand what your issue was and how they could resolve it. About 95% of them are TERRIBLE customer service representatives. I guess you get what you pay for!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Caroline Simcoe about 1 month ago

We are out of service way to many times. I have kept track just since July it was out July 25, August 4, August 15, and August 22. It was a lot before that but did not keep track. Also about 2 months ago I had to have someone come inside to repair a wire from an electrical storm. It took them 11 days to get here to fix the problem and charged an arm and a leg. It is very disgusting to go without phone service as I live out in the country and depend on phone service for 911 in case of emergencies. It is not a good thing for us elderly people. We do not get cell phone service out here either so we HAVE to rely on our phone service. Also the internet is not what it says it should be. It is very slow most of the time and we pay good money for it. All in all it is the worst service I have ever gotten from a phone company!

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Deanna Soderberg about 1 month ago

Like the others above, I rarely get the speed I pay for and it goes out every afternoon for about an hour. I've had the tech out to the house several times and get modem upgrades. However, the speed isn't what I've been paying for and where I live (Garrison) there is no other choice.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Keith and Sally Kennedy about 1 month ago

International Falls, MN—Prior to mid-March, Frontier was not providing quality internet service at the speed and price they advertised and enrolled their customers into.

Internet connections dropped out constantly, requiring cycling power on the modem to try to re-establish connection. It got so bad that most of the time, cycling power on the modem didn’t even help. We contacted Frontier technical support numerous times and even contacted the Better Business Bureau. Frontier technical support told us that it was an "area problem." At the time, they said they were aware of the problem but until equipment was updated, there wasn’t much they could do for us. Frontier had more paying customers than their equipment could handle, but yet they continued to advertise and collect money for a service they weren’t capable of supplying.

Frontier's solution to this problem, offered by their technical & customer service agents on March 19, was for us to upgrade our service to a faster speed but at a $25/month increase. We weren’t looking for upgraded service, we just wanted the internet service we were paying for to work consistently and at the speed we were paying for. If we didn’t upgrade our service, they couldn’t guarantee that the internet would work. We were forced to pay a higher price if we wanted internet service that worked 24/7.

We shouldn’t have had to upgrade and pay a higher fee to receive a service we have paid for all along. We paid our bill each month in good faith that we’d receive a quality service for that money. Frontier has an obligation to provide reliable service at the speed & price advertised and paid for. Frontier's "area problem" fix should not have been at our expense.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Marty Wold about 1 month ago

I'm not sure what the commissions quality rules are, but I believe the Frontier service quality for the cost may not align and what they are offering. Often the Frontier modem cannot connect to the service providers servers. That shouldn't have anything to do with a "package". The connection requires constant monitoring and resetting. I have much better service on our 3/4g telephones than what is provided by a land line direct connection (DSL). I also do not believe we are paying for the speed they claim as the service is intermittent during perceived peak periods of the day. The people that I have worked with on the phone are always professional and courteous. However, I don't believe their customer service personnel are informed to the limitations that management may be imposing and representing in the products offered.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Alicia Holicky about 1 month ago

We have experienced many of the same issues mentioned already with frequent outages and extremely slow speeds. The slow speeds are extremely problematic after 4pm when speeds slow to a crawl . Streaming becomes impossible, and computer internet use becomes very problematic, and only one devise can be using the internet, if any at all.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
dave steine about 1 month ago

have had repeated problems with phone service. phone goes out on regular basis ,for example it was out july 25,aug4,aug. 22 sept. 4, internet speed is less than what we pay for some times less than 1 mb routers need to be reset constantly , internet seems to just drop for no reason.pay over 90 dollars a month for very unreliable service when i called on september 4 th the tech did not contact me until september 14 ten days later same story as every one else old equipment . some thing needs to be fixed .

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Jim Burroughs about 1 month ago

We continually experience the same issues as noted before. Very intermittent service, when it does work it is very, very slow. Unfortunately Frontier is our only option, we would be willing to pay more for better internet service.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Dan Hopkins 29 days ago

All that I've read in the previous complaints with regards to the Internet provided holds true with me in Lakeville, Mn. Contract for 70% min of 10 MBPS = 7 MBPS and rarely see over 4 MBPS. Upload rarely reached 1 MBPS and the contract states 4 MBPS... Very slow! Frequently no service, to the point that I typically need to use Cell phone data via tether if I join a webcast for work ( additional data cost to me on going for years ) I too had been offered faster speed for an upcharge but had been instructed by the tech adviser, that I probably will not see a noticeable increase in speed due to the antiquated equipment in my location. No offer for a reduced rate, Frontier is the ONLY provider for my location so I'm forced to live with this! I had 3 service calls where I had been instructed to be home during a 4 hour period, thus miss work. All three were no shows at the house and one said they missed me and had left a note. Since I stayed home all day and my office faces the parking area, I can safely state that there had been no attempt to service. Many hours wasted in attempt to resolve slow and no service with Frontier net in Lakeville Mn.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Fiona Demel 29 days ago

I operate a small health care business in Cannon Falls and have been stuck with Frontier until 2015. Over a period of 15 years, we have had the same issues as mentioned by the above customers, but I want to highlight two very serious problems that I believe may violate PUC policies. - prior to September 2014, we had a bundled 2 phone line/ 10MB internet service with Frontier. WE could never get a better download speed than 5.5 mb. We started using a new electronic health records cloud based software that could only work with a consistent speed of 10MB. We called Frontier to fix our current speed to the contracted 10 MB. We were informed that in order to do that we needed to upgrade to a 15 MB plan, so in essence they refused to uphold our current service agreement and forced us to buy a more expensive plan in order to get the speed they were supposed to deliver. We had not other option so we signed up for the " Broadband Ultimate" 15MB plan and were forced to renew a 3 year contract on our phone line at the time. We continued to experience crashes on our software and when we had our download speed measured independently, we never reached above 6.5MB. The tech came several times and finally fessed up that the local infrastructure could not deliver more than 6.5 and we should never have had the plan sold to us. We complained enough to Frontier that they "allowed" us to drop the internet plan but forced us to remain in the phone line service that was bundled with the internet. We switched to Northfield wifi in November of 2014. - we had phone book advertising with Frontier for the business for many years, eventually added online advertising through Frontier. We decided not to renew since our marketing tracking showed both avenues to have little to no return for our business. We continued to receive bills and when we called to ask for discontinuation of the advertising service were informed that their ad subcontractor had sent us a notice of auto-renew and that we had failed to respond to decline. We have no record of receiving such notice. I asked to see the letter and was not provided with it, just with the date that their internal system showed it mailed. We have argued back and forth for months. Because of Frontier's long standing track record of losing our mail, voicemails, billing error, failing to follow up on service calls etc. I do not trust that the renewal notice was actually sent out. I told them that I would honor the bills if they could show me a signed postal receipt or post office tracking number confirming delivery, but they have refused to do so, thus failing to prove to me that they actually sent me anything. Our bill was sent to collection and we have continued to contest it.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Darcy Jones 27 days ago

McGregor, MN -

Quality - Our internet is supposed to be high speed and we have never had high speed internet service. We had continually complained to customer service that we were experiencing really slow speeds and often our internet would go out altogether so then we would have to restart the modem. Customer service would look at our speeds and then put a ticket in that was never answered. When we finally was able to get a technician out to actually look at the line and test the speed coming into the house he confirmed that our speeds were slow and the network was unstable. The only solution that he recommended was to slow our speed down to 2 as that would stabilize the line which would help in internet outages. When challenged as to why that was the only thing they could do as the equipment was old and needed to be updated which was not cost effective for Frontier for our area. None of that was explained or even told to me when I set up service. Then I get a price hike of $20/month for something I can't get. This is the only service that is available in our area and so we are stuck.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jay Beaufeaux 24 days ago

My wife and I live in rural Askov-Bruno, Mn. Around The first week of August we lost our land phone service in our home . After contacting Frontier we were told they didn't have any repair people available for 3-4 weeks? After that long wait of 3 weeks a man arrived from northern mn. to repair the electrically fried system from the storm we had in August. Why does Frontier have the monopoly on the land service in our area? Can you please do something about the poor, inferior service that Frontier is giving us?

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Kyle Greene 24 days ago

In 2016 and 2017 we had frequent internet and telephone outages. When I called customer service I was consistency quoted that it would take at least a week before a technician would be out to repair. I keep our landline phone for emergencies as cellphone service in our area is spotty, and I am always worried if something horrible were to happen while we are waiting for our phone service to be repaired. We also subscribe to a few online services (streaming, video games, etc) that we are unable to use during the extended outage, essentially paying for services we cannot use at home.

I have been logging outages, responses, and service tickets since the spring of 2016. I have attached a scanned copy of my logs for reference. We reside in the Franconia Township area near Shafer, MN.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Peggy Wiens 23 days ago

The Internet service in my area Windom, MN is very unreliable. I never know when I will be able to access the internet or not. For a long time the Internet would go down every Sunday night at 9:30pm, you could set your clock when it would go down. Then you never knew when it would be back up again. Last year, I called repair and talked to an IT Tech for over 2 hours, and his conclusion was Frontier doesn't have enough Band Width in the area to support all the users. However they were suppose to be doing an upgrade soon. At that time, he said I was able to get access 43% of the time!! Really and I pay for a 100%. I just called 9/6/18, because I hadn't any service for 4 days that I knew of (we were gone over Labor Day). The IT Tech I talked to that day said, She couldn't see anything wrong and as far as she was concerned I have service whether it was 24/7 didn't matter I had service. When she transferred me to Customer Service, he of course said he couldn't do anything but give me credit. That's fine but that doesn't solve my service problem. I asked several times to talk to a Supervisor but neither of them would transfer me. This is just Unacceptable in every way, you pay for service and you expect it work 24/7. I understand storms and such, but for days on end without Internet service and at 43% is not Acceptable Service at all.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Bernie Bauman 22 days ago

Phone service has a bug. If I start to dial a number, but I hang up before I finished dialing, I can't get a dial tone back. I have found that the only way to get the dial tone back is to have someone call my number. I reported the issue, but I was told it must be my personal equipment, such as an answering machine. However, if I disconnect the phone line at the outside terminal and connect a handset, I still don't have a dial tone. I'm afraid if I miss-dial 911, I may not be able to re-dial it.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Patricia Buboltz 21 days ago

MPUC Docket No. P407, 405/CI-18-122 Frontier Communications Comments Ann Buboltz (name on account) Roger & Pat Buboltz (owners of home) Atwater MN We chose internet service from Frontier because the house used to have a land line phone service through them so the line was already there. We joined in April 2015 and paid for a plan at 6 mbps speed at about $35/mo. The bills have been accurate. After several months of slow or intermittent service, we called Frontier on 5/26/18 to report it. Customer representive (rep) had us connect a laptop with the Ethernet cable to the modem. Internet worked. Rep did other troubleshooting tasks. Rep asked for date on sticker on modem—it showed 8/2013. He said the system looked okay from his end but he would mail out a new router in case it was the issue. He asked us to do a speed test-it showed 1.3 mbps download. Called in on 6/16/18 to ask about our contract & was told it was month to month and the best speed they have available in the area was 6MB. Changed from WPA to WPANA for better security. Called again on 6/17/18 because new modem never came and was told that someone overseeing the reps has to approve sending out a new router so it must’ve gotten denied. Rep said wifi was on Channel 1 but would put it on the highest Channel with hopes that would improve service. Asked when Frontier would be expanding HSI in Kandiyohi County but rep didn’t know. Told him we had a couple of other options for internet but would rather stay with Frontier if they could improve their service. Asked for a local office and was given phone number for Worthington office and Minneapolis retail.
Called 7/2/18—looked okay at their end. Later, we did 2 speed tests in afternoon and got 2.3 & 2.2 download & .31 & .37 upload. At 9:30 p.m., we got .72 download & .27 upload. Tested speed on 7/4/18 at 6:45 a.m. & got 1.0 download & .28 upload; no connection at 7:06, 9:13, off & on all morning. Called in to report poor service and got engineering ticket # 1502872 but when I referred to that number during our next phone call on 7/25/18, no one recognized it. I called the numbers to the Worthington & Minneapolis offices this day but neither one got me to anyone who knew about local expansion for HSI in Kandiyohi County. Rep did tests again and didn’t see any problems with our wiring or hardware. He explained that the major issue was that we were in a high demand area. I explained that it was a rural area around a small lake but he explained that the infrastructure in that area was barely able to handle the existing traffic. There would be times when all ports would be taken by neighbors. Our house was only 3700 feet from the junction box. When we asked how much it would cost to buy faster service, he explained that paying for faster service would not help, nor would moving the modem to a better location in the house or replacing the cables. When I stated that we’d need to find a different internet provider unless Frontier would be running HSI cable during the current road project next to our property, he asked if I wanted to speak with someone in the Sales & Retention Department because they would know about expansions. He transferred me & I got someone in Connecticut.
This man had no information about Frontier expanding HSI in Kandiyohi County or anywhere in Minnesota. He explained that the infrastructure we have in this area is copper based and has issues. It is old technology much like using a pay phone instead of a cell phone. Almost all of rural Kandiyohi County was able to sign up for a new HSI plan recently but it didn’t cover our area. I was told that current providers in our section of the county had promised to improve service within two years but there weren’t any fines if they didn’t keep their promise.
On 7/30/18, we called in again to say that we decided to cancel our subscription with Frontier immediately. Rep stated that we had paid through 8/24/18, that they don’t prorate and that there would be a $9.99 closing fee.
At this point, we don’t have an internet provider. We upgraded to unlimited data on our phones, although the strength in this area is weak. A couple satellite providers have said that they would need to see if they would be able to provide signal to our house.

We ask you to order Frontier to fix existing issues & invest in necessary infrastructure upgrades, credit customers for Frontier’s years of past poor service and reduce current pricing until they upgrade infrastructure.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jody Shimek 18 days ago

Our internet is slow and does not give consistent service. We pay a price for a service that does not seem to be worth the cost.

Some things that happen are the following: -My kids wind up using their hotspot from their cell phones because they can’t get their homework done using the home wifi. This causes them to max-out their hotspot usage and can slow down the speed on their phones. -While trying to watch Netflix or something that requires internet on my tv, it might connect for a few minutes, if I am lucky. Most often, I can get a few minutes into a show and it will “buffer” again. This happens all too often so is not worth the time wasted in trying to watch anything this way. -I definitely can’t use the wifi to watch a DirecTV movie because my internet speed is so slow that it takes quite a while to download. -It can take a few days for my kids to be able to download a movie or game on their Xbox. -I bought an extender (not through Frontier) to try to get our wifi to actually work throughout the house. It still doesn’t help. I can be in the room above the router and still not have service. -I am supposed to be connected to wifi at home to backup my phone to the “cloud” and it takes WAY too long. I drove to work and it was done in a matter of minutes.

I have called Frontier a few times to fix this. They take me through a test to check my speeds. I think we are on the highest speed available in my area, which is still slow. Frontier is the only company, to my knowledge, in my area. I unplug and replug the modem and it might work until a week later, or even ah hour later, and it needs it again. I have also had a technician out to my house. I was told my modem was old and needed to be replaced. That didn’t even do the trick.

Our whole neighborhood has a Facebook “group” just about neighborhood issues and internet is a HOT TOPIC. This past summer, we lost internet for almost a whole week and I am not sure anyone at Frontier even knew what was going on. Many of our neighbors called and we all got different answers.

My bill is close to $100 every month for a very poor service. I do not believe Frontier is making advances in their technology to support their customers. Frontier needs to give better service or another company needs to come in and offer service. I would switch if I could. I have called to cancel my landline and only have internet but it seems even more expensive to just have internet.

I also don’t like that a new customer can get a deeper discount for service while I still pay quite a bit and have been a customer for MANY years.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Michelle Nerud 18 days ago

We live outside of North Branch, and the service Frontier provides has never been fast or reliable. Before we purchased our property, we called Frontier, in an attempt to confirm that we would have access to high speed internet. Their response was "absolutely" We provide high speed in that area. I should have gotten it in writing. Their internet speeds are slow to non-existent, and the internet goes down when it rains. We have put in service requests, and then had automated calls informing us that they cannot make the schedule, and will be out next week. We had a line strung above the ground for almost a year before they finally buried it, after the county mower took it out. When we moved from our old house, they failed to stop billing us, even though we called and had them turn off the service. That mess took over a year to clear up. There is no other service available in our area, so we feel we are being held hostage by a very uncooperative organization.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Robert Gonzalez 17 days ago

We are former military, so we have lived in seven U.S. cities. Frontier Communications is the worst utility company we have ever dealt with. In the thirteen years we've had Frontier service we have had numerous problems. We have had repeated loss of land lines and internet due to exterior line/component failure (usually associated with rain/snow). These failures cost us significant inconvenience and service time loss. Some Customer Service and Repair Technicians were professional, competent and courteous, others were just the opposite. We've had Frontier tell us a problem was inside our home, which then cost us hundreds of dollars to determine they were incorrect. The problem was an exterior issue which Frontier eventually repaired. We've had problems with calls to rural North Dakota not connecting. Frontier repeatedly blamed it on the North Dakota carrier, which denied it and provided us with documentation showing it was a Frontier issue. We finally had to contact the FCC to get any action from Frontier. We still are not sure the issue was completely resolved because we were calling my mother-in-law, and she has subsequently passed away. We've had problems with online billing. Frontier repeatedly denied it was their problem and blamed our bank, which denied it. We finally insisted we be allowed to talk to a Frontier IT representative who indeed found it to be a Frontier problem. This process took months. In January of 2013 we received a "Notice Of Proposed Class-Action Settlement". It stated we "were charged Minnesota state and/or local taxes on amounts paid for internet services.''..."alleges that Frontier collected these taxes in violation of the federal Internet Tax Freedom Act and Minnesota Law". A USA Today article "...worst companies to work for..." dated 6/15/2018 ranked Frontier Communications #2 worst. It stated Frontier "Employees who would recommend working at company: 28%" and "Frontier is the only cable and internet service provider to rank among the worst companies to work for". It's my opinion that it's easy to see a connection between poor employee satisfaction and providing a poor product/poor customer service. PUC do something about Frontier, for the people!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Deborah Lindberg 16 days ago

After reading all of the above comments I'm astonished. We all share very similar experiences with Frontier Communications, whether it's for internet or phone service. I've been a customer for 21 years, only because there are no other options in our area. It is a rural community, and we residents dread attempting to contact Frontier for any service/billing related issues because you can count on spending copious amounts of time on hold, being disconnected and not called back when you're actually speaking with a CSR, and being given the run around. It is the norm to have to call several times in attempt to get an issue resolved. To say their customer service is beyond frustrating is an understatement. We have long dealt with slow internet speeds, daily loss of connectivity or extreme slowdown at midnight, countless times having to turn the modem off/on in attempt to regain connection. Each spring, as well as when it's very humid out, we deal with increased trouble in both phone and internet connection, which over time I've come to conclude must be related to moisture affecting outside lines, because our neighbors all deal with these things as well. Last winter a PED in our neighborhood was damaged. Frontier came out, did some work, and left it only wrapped with a tarp. In June, during a thunderstorm I was sitting at my desk, suddenly there was a loud pop that I knew instantly was a lightning strike, followed by the smell of electrical fire. It had come through the phone line into our house, blew out our line conditioner, and several things attached to our computer system. When I realized it had blown out all ten of the lights in our lamp posts, and neighbors' phone/internet service/equipment. At that point I suspected the lightning strike was at the PED. Though Frontier never admitted liability, I'm convinced that it was related to the condition that PED was left covered. If anyone had happened to have been outside walking that night, I wonder if they'd have been hurt or killed due to that incident. I was not 2 feet from that line conditioner that blew, and it was charred. I don't want to repeat what so many others have already shared, only to add that we've experienced the same trouble and frustrations. If we had other options, we would choose them. This company shows no regard for quality of service, nor for customer satisfaction. Because they have no real competition, they have no reason to improve or change their business practices. I've waited years for the opportunity to express our extreme frustration with Frontier.

My hope is that the PUC Commission would implement real change/improvement in the communities across our state that are forced (because of no alternatives) to either go without these important services, or put up with being essentially held hostage to doing business with Frontier Communications. Getting what we pay for isn't wrong to expect. For many, a dependable landline is crucial, and for many high speed, dependable internet is also crucial and expected (again, as advertised). We live in a time and place where it is not unreasonable to expect these things, especially when these services are advertised by the company. It seems to me that there is a willful intent by Frontier to provide substandard, lazy service because they have been able to get away with it for so many years. By the admission of many of their employees, the company is aware of this. Frontier Communications (at the top) needs to be held accountable, and either forced to improve or be put out of business.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Carol Houfer 16 days ago

I tried to comment earlier today, but our internet was down as it was raining, not an uncommon experience. We have used Frontier for two decades now and have consistently been unhappy with our "service" in Franconia Township near Lindstrom. We have half the internet speed we pay for and our service is interrupted constantly. All members of the family complete work from home or submit college course material online and the issue with access to reliable service is almost a daily occurrence. If someone needs internet connection for an important online task, the rest of us sign out of what we're doing, turn off wi-fi on our phones, and wait. Even then, there's no guarantee the connection will be successful. The cost of our bundled services keeps going up but the quality or type of service does not improve. When there's an outage that necessitates a call to customer service, I put the phone on speaker and complete other tasks, because it's invariably a half hour wait just to speak with a representative. In the past year, there was an telephone junction box broken and open to the elements in a high foot-traffic area near a school. Anyone could have easily put their hands inside the box. We have no other comparable options for service. This is not 21st century technology.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
magdalena bloom at October 18, 2018 at 8:19pm CDT

I currently live in southern Lakeville, MN and we are limited in internet providers out here. We signed up for Frontier service in April 2018 and have had constant issues with our service. Since day 1 the speed tests have shown that the bandwidth is only about half of the package we signed up for and are being charged. I made sure to ask the sales rep if we would be able to stream services like Netflix on our tv and were assured that it would be more than enough. We cannot stream anything and are barely able to connect to the internet on a good day. Back in June our internet went out unexpectedly for a week and it took hours on the phone with customer service to finally get a tech to come out. Several of the techs that were scheduled didn't even call or show up. Once a tech finally arrived he could not figure out what the problem was, and suggested maybe we just didn't know how to connect to the internet, despite us having been using it just fine up until the outage. A few days later they sent another tech who told us it was a problem at "the box down the road". I called customer service to ask them not to charge us for the periods when the internet was down, since that's only fair that we not be billed for a service we can't use by no fault of our own. Customer service was argumentative and claimed they could not remove charges from the bill, nor could they put a credit on the account. It was only after I asked to speak to a manager and suggested writing to the BBB that they agreed to credit the account. I waited for 2 billing cycles to see the credit show up and it never did, so I had to call back and haggle with their customer service again to have it fixed. They are not helpful and do not live up to their end of the deal in providing the bare minimum of services that they say they will.

0 Reads