This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Default_avatar
Laurel Fredin about 6 years ago

Our service is not dependable at all. I have made calls to the company to ask for help. At times we have been without internet for weeks, with no service people available to come out to our rural area. It is very slow when it is working, we often need to restart even when trying to add contacts for something as simple as an email group. The note comes up that they are working to correct the temporary problem, but I know it has been going on for many months. I can't use any streaming that is offered with my Amazon account, as it can't keep up! I have been reminded by Amazon that I am not taking advantage of the services they offer, but I have tried! We are in a rural area, but I think we could do much better. Help would be much appreciated with this problem, as anyone in our small town of Comfrey that I have asked and are users of Frontier have expressed the same frustrations.

3 Reads
Default_avatar
Linda Wallin almost 6 years ago

I am from the City of Comfrey, MN and totally agree with Laurel Fredin. The quality of service is very substandard. We had a service techician who resided in Mt. Lake, MN and since he has retired the service has been horrible. I am speaking personally for my home and also for a place of business in Comfrey. It is very disgusting to be told that a technician will arrive between 8-12A and one is lucky if the technician arrives on the scheduled date at all. For the place of business I was told that if the technician did not arrive on the scheduled date he would be there the next day. Which next day? The service is totally unacceptable.
I timed how long it took me to hook up to the internet this past week and it was 12 minutes. After that the speed was at a snail's pace. It is that way most of the time. We like to enjoy Netflix at our house and many times we are manually hooking up or when we do get hooked up the speed is not fast enough to support the program and it will not run.
We have option for another internet service in town. As soon as it is ready to go many customers, both in town and out of town, many customers will be leaving Frontier.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Russell Jones about 6 years ago

I live in the East Bethel, Minnesota, area and have had nothing but problems with Frontier since they took over from Citizens Communications back in the 1990's!

Most recently I had to contact them on multiple occasions because my DSL Internet was down. They told me it would be four days before someone would come out to look at it. When they did finally get someone out here I was told that our DSL speed was turn "way down" and that he turned it back up all the way again. The tech then said there was "noise" on the line and no matter what he did, he could not get it to go away.

I informed him that about 5-6 years ago an excavating project had severed our phone lines and caused a power surge that burned out a lot of their circuits. Many of those circuits were never replaced or upgraded. In fact, Frontier flat out said that the "Main Office" knew of the issue, but since only 163 of us were on this circuit, they were in no hurry to upgrade our switching.

The Tech turned the issue over to his boss, who sent an "expert" out to try and fix the lines. The "expert" was unsuccessful, but some good came out of it as our DSL ran faster than it ever had since we first signed up for it!

About a week later, we got notice that another repair guy was being sent out to fix our service. I called them back and said our DSL was working better than ever and that we did not put in for service. I was told it was a mistake, but the next day a Tech showed up and said he was "checking the lines." When he got thru, our same old SLOW DSL service was back again.

This prompted me to place another call to Repair complaining about how I liked having my "faster" DSL and I wanted it turned back up to full speed again. They sent another Tech out who informed me that by turning my service all the way up, I was causing failures to happen down the line because the circuits couldn't handle the traffic burden. He said he'd turn our speed up "slightly" because my wife has a home business which qualified us for "Business speed." The DSL is only slightly better now than in the past.

We were also given a new DSL Modem. Since we got our new modem, we have been unable to Network any of our wireless devices, that were all networked before with the old modem. I am also unable to download files off the Internet if I'm simultaneously Uploading a video to YouTube. This was not a problem before the new modem, so it's was probably improperly configured. When I called Repair about the issue, they took the report but never followed up on it.

Another complaint besides all the "noise" on the phone lines is that many, many days our Dial Tone doesn't function. Without a dial tone, we cannot call out, and when others try and call us, they get the "Overload Busy Signal." This happens even when our friends have tried to use an Operator to place the call. With our phones not working, we are unable to call Repair and report the problem. We simply have to wait (sometimes several hours) for our dial tone to come back on. When it does come back on, there's no longer any point to calling Repair, so these "outages" go undocumented.

I have also had trouble calling phone numbers that days before worked fine. This is also true when calling 800 numbers. When I've contacted Frontier about it, I've been told that the phone number I am trying to call is "blocked" from my Exchange. When I ask them how this can be when I've called it before, I am told it is a problem with the other phone company, NOT Frontier, so they can't do anything about it.

On that note, my wife has a cell phone, but we live in a dead zone for cell service. This means when at home, we must use the Frontier Land Line to check voice mails left on the cell number. This has not been possible for over five years now, because for what ever reason Verizon (our cell provider) won't recognize Frontier's Touch Tones. We can access features that only require a single DTMF tone, but if a code is required (string of tones) Verizon only recognizes the first tone. For instance: Press 0 to get to the main menu, this works; But, if we have to enter our code: 4719, the touch tones that Frontier generates aren't recognized by Verizon. When I contacted Verizon's Tech Department about the issue, they informed me that this was a major problem with Frontier customers, and that those of other phone providers didn't have that problem.

If that isn't bad enough, after severe weather has knocked out our power and phone, we usually get our power back on in a couple of hours, but our phone service isn't restored for many days! There was even one time about 9 years ago, where our phone service was out for almost a week and we had our new born baby in the ICU at the hospital and were unable to place or receive telephone calls during the emergency!

Fortunately I am a Ham Radio Operator, so I was able to stay in contact through radio relay messaging.

My last complaint has to do with the custom calling features offered by Frontier. At my previous residence over two decades ago, I had Qwest, not Frontier for my telephone service. I have always had Conference Calling and Call Waiting on my phone. With Qwest if I was on a Conference call, I was still able to receive phone calls through Call Waiting. When the line "beeped" I'd simply click over and take the call, while the other two parties on the Conference Call would still be talking. This is not possible with Frontier, and never has been. If I am on a Conference Call, my Call Waiting is DISABLED and callers get a busy signal if they try and call me. What good is having Call Waiting, if people are going to get a busy signal when they call you? Frontier needs to upgrade it's Firmware to allow Call Waiting during Conference Calling so it's as good as Qwest was 20-years ago!

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Carrie Carlson about 6 years ago

I cannot speak to if Frontier has failed to live up to the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission customer service standards, but they certainly have failed to live up to my customer service standards. Calling Frontier customer service for service issues/outages gets no answers.

On more than one occasion I have called them about internet outages at my home that have lasted 24 hours or longer, and they claim they are not aware of any outages in our area. After telling me there aren’t any outages in my area, they then tell me “I’m going to run a test on your line.” I don’t believe they actually test anything. It’s just something for them to say to make it seem like they are doing something to resolve the problem. They then say they don’t see any problems between their location and mine so it must be something at my house and they’ll have to send a tech out. The soonest they can get a tech out is at least 3 days. For a household that relies on internet service for working from home and homeschooling our children, 3 days is about equivalent to a year. In the meantime, things mysteriously start working again, signaling that the problem isn’t with my wiring or equipment. Then Frontier will send me a message or call saying my tech visit is cancelled because it turned out the problem really was on their end—something it seems like they should have known before scheduling a tech appointment.

On one particular occasion our phone service went out. I followed the directions found on their website and tested it and then called customer service from my cell phone. I got the same run around as I got for internet outages. They supposedly tested my line and saw no problems. They then scheduled a tech to come out. Again, it was going to be days before they could get there. Once the tech showed up, he spent 5 minutes at the outside junction box, came back to my door and said he had to run back to the office, and then he called me 15 minutes later to tell me that the problem was indeed a circuit board at the local office that was not working properly and not a problem at my house. So why could their supposed test on my line not see that if the problem was indeed at a location upstream from my house preventing transmission from even getting to my house/line? I firmly believe it is because they don’t actually test anything but just say they are doing so to appease irritated customers who have no idea if they are really testing anything or not.

I understand their customer service is probably outsourced to a generic call center where the operators only have a script to read, and that those answering calls don’t really have any actual diagnostic skills, but Frontier should at least keep these people informed of problems so when customers call the call center can provide real information.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Wally Rosier about 6 years ago

I agree with Carrie, Frontier lives up to their own internal standards of what service/product at what price they can get without regard to market expectations. Open their "protected" area's up for market competition and let the market decide. Right now where I live it is either Frontier or nothing (satellite weather depending).

2 Reads

Default_avatar
David Davis about 6 years ago

Topic 1 - Frontier does not contact you to let you know the service agreement is about to expire. They gladly stay quiet so that they can bill you full, undiscounted rates until you happen to catch the fact on your own that the agreement expired or your accounts payable person finally realizes that the amount is way more than it used to be. Then, when you call to talk to your customer service rep to renew it they are always "no longer working for Frontier" and you have to start over with someone new. This last renewal we didn't even get a live body that could come out and visit and negotiate face to face, it was all done by a person in a business service department somewhere. Topic 2 - When we lose service for our 800 number or we lose phone service completely for one or all of our lines, the customer service person's first statement is always "we have no known issues in your area" and, "it must be your phone system or lines in your building, we can come out and determine the source of the problem but we will have to charge you if it's inside your building." Every time it has finally been proven that it is outside our building where the issue lies causing our outage. It has been either brittle, crumbling old twisted pair wires at some junction box between us and the main hub our lines go to (Hector where we are goes to New Ulm), a cut line, an outage at a huge regional hub for Frontier, or a problem with Frontier handling traffic from outside their own domain/world from other phone service providers. Frontier needs to stop claiming it is the customer's problem immediately and issue a trouble ticket to check their own systems so that outages can be repaired quicker for their business customers.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Donna Wing about 6 years ago

We have been without internet service over the weekend. Not the first time this has happened. The phone wait time to report an issue to Frontier is 25 minutes. That is just to speak to a representative. Then we are put on hold again while they try to resolve why our service is not working or is so slow. Our Megabit service to our home runs anywhere from .4 to 1.3. Very low . Not an acceptable amount, We were told the high volume of useage in the neighborhood would cause the slowness, but as explained to them we live in rural Minnesota, have not a neighbor using internet for over a mile. The problem lines within their cable lines. Our TV ls constantly buffering, during a movie. There are days the Alexa programing fades in and out. I believe Frontier has been lax in updating their cable service and equipment for our area. It is time they upgrade their technology, or the ability to get the updated technology to us.. Just because we are rural does not justify the poor quality of internet service or the slow speed in which we receive this service. We, the paying customers deserve better. We should be getting faster more efficient service. Instead of trying to grow bigger, perhaps they should work at getting better!!!

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Elizabeth Forsythe about 6 years ago

Reference M-18-122. Having lived on the U. S. Canadian border in International Falls, MN for our entire lives, we have come to expect drawbacks associated with distance between us and service(s) generally only available in metropolitan areas. However, satellite technology has been available and in use since man walked on the moon, therefore, it is beyond our comprehension why a company such as Frontier Communications who services the entire state of Minnesota, cannot provide reliable, high speed internet service to all of their customers - rural, or otherwise. We are strongly requesting that the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission support the people they represent by proving that Frontier Communications is holding their customers hostage by charging them for below standard service simply because they are "the only show in town". Thank you. Elizabeth and Richard Forsythe. Respectfully Submitted on August 17, 2018.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Jill Pulkrabek about 6 years ago

I have contacted Frontier customer service multiple times but still have been unable to get phone and internet service installed. I first called on August 20 to order the service and was told that it would be installed on August 27 from 1:00pm - 5:00pm. I called on August 26 and the customer service agent verified the installation date and time. No one showed up on August 27. When I called customer service that evening, they said that the original order was placed incorrectly. I placed the order again and was told that they would mail the router and modem to install myself and they should arrive in 2-3 days. The router and modem never arrived. Customer service said that the order was never placed and nothing had been sent out. They scheduled another installation appointment for September 11, and I hope they show up this time. It is very unprofessional to make appointments and not show up. It should not take multiple phone calls and weeks of time to install basic phone and internet service. I live in Comfrey, MN, so this is my only option for phone and internet access. Please hold Frontier accountable for the service they promise to provide. Thank you.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Russell Jones about 6 years ago

I posted a comment about the service quality of Frontier on here about a month ago (See above). A couple of days after I posted my comments, my DSL Internet service got even WORSE! My DSL is so slow now that I cannot download updates for my kid's PS4 Games, watch low quality videos on YouTube or surf the Internet reliably. I've been told by the techs this is because the circuit I'm on is "overloaded." I reported them to the Attorney General and got the same response, saying that I've got too many devices on an already over-loaded circuit. I've also been told that Corporate knows about the problem but is NOT willing to upgrade this circuit to handle the extra load because there are only 163 of us on it so it's not worth the cost. Not only has my download speed dropped: I'm supposed to be getting 6Mbits, was getting 2.1Mbits for years, got turned up to 3.1Mbits until I filed my first statement on here, now I'm getting 0.2Mbits with up to 70-80 "Dropouts" per day! My upload speed has also taken a dive from 1.1Mbits to 0.4Mbits. I run a YouTube Channel and can no longer upload any videos because of the slow speeds. When I call in I am told that they are unable to fix my problem and that a tech has to come out to my house and repair the lines. The tech was just out here (for the 7th time in less than 3 months) and told me that my "drop-out" problem is being caused by "mold growing on my phone lines." He told me I should get down on my hands and knees and clean them with vinegar. I cannot switch to another service as there is no cable available, we live in a dead zone for cell phones, and trees block a clear view of Satellite service.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Ben FisherMerritt about 6 years ago

I never get the same answer twice when I call with issues. I'm actually on the phone right now with their billing department because they increased my bill every month for the last 3 months WITHOUT NOTIFICATION. If I had any other option for Internet service I would take it, but as with others, I am stuck; I can't even get text messages on my cell in my house.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Gloriann McDonald almost 6 years ago

Our phone service uses WiFi through a microcell attached to the modem. So when Frontier loses its signal, which is very, very often, we also lose good cell service. This is a safety issue as well as just a frustrating nuisance. Please hold them accountable! I agree with the others on this topic that it isn't that the technology does not exist to give us good service--the company chooses not to because we all have no other choice but to keep them!

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Misty Anderson almost 6 years ago

Frontier's customer service practices are lacking. I live in Milaca, MN and we recently moved from the country to town. While I had no choice but to use Frontier (as they were the only provider in our area in the country), I chose to continue to use them as we transitioned into town. As we were preparing to move, I called customer service to get things set up to disconnect the service at the old house and reconnect the service at the new house. I told the operator very specifically what date I needed the disconnect and reconnect to be done. I even had them verify the details with me before concluding the call. At the time I was an on-line college student and relied on my internet connection for classes. The very next morning I went to try to use the internet and found it was disconnected. (I still had 7 days until my date of disconnect). After calling Frontier and going through the routine of explaining my situation, was told there was nothing they could do but charge me a reconnect fee and wait 7-10 days to reconnect. That was not going to work for my situation, so I told the operator to forget it, I would just wait until I got into the new house.

The next day, I come to find out that the service tech shows up at the new house wanting to connect the service. The old owners were unaware of what was going on and hadn't even disconnected their service yet. After getting things straightened out with the technician and verifying, again, the details of the reconnect, we parted ways. Date of reconnect comes along and no word from Frontier, no technician. I call again and see what is going on only to be told it will be 7-10 business days before someone comes out. Luckily for me, it was only 3. The technician came out ran the line, hooked up my router and tried to connect the service only to find out that my account was blocked.

The technician had no idea and is unable to help, so I call Frontier yet again, but no one is able to tell me why the account was blocked or is able to unblock it. I am then directed by customer service to call back at a later time to see if anything can be done. It took 3 days of calling before I finally found someone who was able to unblock the account and get my service up and running.

After receiving my bill for that billing cycle, I noticed that I was charged for a full month of service. I contacted customer service again to dispute the fact that I had been without internet service for 13 days and yet was billed for a whole month. In the end, they approved a $15 credit to my account.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Jayne Shaffer almost 6 years ago

We have had a very frustrating last several months with Frontier. We live in LeRoy, MN in the SE part of the state. Like many of you have stated, we also have limited options for internet carriers. We've been with Frontier since they took over operations from our previous phone/internet carrier, I'd say about 10 years. At first, service was ok, but over the last several years has gotten slower as we remain DSL while other companies are offering fiber optics. Frontier offers fiber optics in a town about 12 miles west of us, but we were told by one of their technicians that there are no plans for it to ever come here. We have also experienced years where we went through multiple routers, but have actually been told it's not uncommon for them to only last three to six months! The recent and most frustrating issue has been extended periods of time without service. We were out 17 days in July, and then 10 days from August into September. The first time involved a tree limb falling, which of course is beyond Frontiers control. When I called it in, my call was answered by a customer service tech named Jesse, who's greeting was as follows: "HELLO, HELLO, HELLO!! Thank YOU for calling Frontier!!" It was so loud and unprofessional that I had to wonder how it was permitted in what is supposed to be a communications business. To make a very long story short, while I explained that a phone line was laying on a sidewalk and boulevard where children ride bikes, my first available service call was over a week away. When the technician came and restrung the line, our internet worked, but the land line still wasn't functioning. Within two days we had no service again, and we finally got another service call with a technician who solved both problems on the 17th day of no service. Each call to the service department lasted a minimum of 25 minutes to a max of one hour. I was told my August bill would be adjusted to $40. When I received the bill it was only about $20 less than normal. I tried their online chat with customer service, was told , no my bill was correct, and I had been credited $40 over the course of my July/August bill, my bill was never to be only $40.

Then, in late august, we lost all service again. This time my service call lasted 1 hour 39 minutes. I was cut off, transferred without being able to fully describe my problem, put on hold for long periods, and finally dropped to begin the process again. When I became disgusted, I was told I was being rude and inappropriate. I explained that was not my intent, but that this had been extremely frustrating, having just gone through this barely a month before. I told them at one time, service like this was amended by giving a customer a refund or a month of free service. I was told I would have to contact customer service again when my service was restored. I haven't been able to bring myself to go through that experience, as I know where it got me last time. It seems that the Frontier customer service department is totally immune to anything that the customer says, perhaps because they deal with so many unhappy customers due to their companies poor service. In closing, we have already signed with a new company coming to our area that offers fiber optic service. I am waiting for the day that myself and many others in my area are able to make that final call to Frontier to disconnect service. I dread how that will go, but am also looking forward to moving on.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Michael ODonnell almost 6 years ago

Our service with Frontier has been disappointing for a number of years. Many local residents including myself have resorted to tracking down a Frontier service person on the side of the road and asking for help due to service orders being ignored. Every time we call Frontier we are told our line is "fine", this while the representative has to ask us to repeat everything we say due to the static on the line. Our internet fails on a regular basis but calls to Frontier go unaddressed. Never have I experienced such a poor level of service from a business. Friends of mine have had to purchase their own routers when ones provided by Frontier failed and were not replaced. In typical form however, Frontier still charged the customer for a company router even though they wouldn't maintain it. I could go on and on... We need another option for our service. Please help.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Joseph Wark almost 6 years ago

On numerous occasions I have called regarding my service being interrupted, each time ended with no assistance from customer service. On one occasion I attempted to get a new router delivered to me, only to wait several weeks and be charged the shipping, which I agreed to, but no router was delivered. I then called customer service again and after an hour long phone call I was put on hold only to be disconnected. I had to call back and spend another half hour on the phone to get my money back and no router was shipped. I sent an email to the president with no reply. On another occasion I was billed improperly and had to call and explain the situation, the customer service rep. then credited my account for the refund. The billing following this encounter was wrong once again so I made another phone call and after some simple math I was able to explain to the customer service rep. how my account should be credited. My service to this day continues to be interrupted almost daily, I have had service technicians out with a report of, everything is fine. I constantly have to reset my router due to my internet service stopping. I have given up trying to have this resolved after two+ years of attempting to resolve the issue.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Bryce Beckstrom almost 6 years ago

MPUC Docket No. P407, 405/CI-18-122

OAH Docket No. 19-2500-35222

Frontier Communications Customer

Bryce Beckstrom

Alborn, MN

I and many others living in Alborn, MN are sick of the poor service from Frontier Communications. The internet speeds are slow, the reliability is spotty, and customer service is a far cry from helpful. We consistently deal with line speed issues or the internet going down all together. When you call for support they try to blame it on customer equipment verses doing any real work. After a couple calls they finally will come out to look into the issue and possible fix it as well.

They overcharge for the speed they advertise, which is not even what we get anyways. I once had Frontier customer support tell me they are surprised I even get internet from them because I am just out of there service distance. So what they did (according to them) is put boosters in so they could bring me slow internet but charge me the same rate as everyone else. They also are the only game in the area for broadband; which explains a lot about how they treat us. Their billing department once told me not to use auto pay because if they mess up you may as well just get it as a credit to your account because you will not see that money again.

Another thing to make note of is their practice of rented equipment. I used to buy and maintain my own equipment in the house (router/modem). Every time I would call support for connection or speed issues, and once they found out it was my equipment, they would say it is my problem due to faulty equipment. After having this occur too many times I broke down and rented their equipment. Well time went by and when I would call in they would say it has to be the equipment and I need to purchase a new one. I would point out I rent the equipment so they should replace their faulty hardware, their excuse would be that the equipment was over a year old or make something else up. In one case they refused to troubleshoot the issue due to their equipment.

I will be happy to provide speed tests so you can visually see how slow it is. Also I would like to add the techs that are on site are great. This is not their fault and blame should not be placed upon their shoulders. They share some of what Frontier does wrong. Like in the case of when they pulled pairs of copper down past my place and the techs explained it is not enough for the current customers let alone growth and Frontier did not care. Frontier premeditates having poor service at high prices.

Below are notes I took, when experiencing major issues and remember too, of communications with Frontier support. The last major issue was in the beginning of 2017, you will notice how it took almost 3 months to sort of resolve.

08/03/2015:

Called at 4:15PM on until 5PM

They are sending a tech. I have received a one month refund. I was informed by Tech Support and billing that I was supposed to be receiving 6mb.

08/04/2015:

Internet was slow and I noticed the advertisied speed in the web admin went from 1.8mb to 1.3mb.

08/05/2015:

Internet speed was horrible. Could not watch netflix as it buffered about every 1-3 minutes regardless of device used.

08/06/2015:

Called at 9:00AM I was told I should be receiving 2.6mb.Then after discussion I am told I should receive at least 1.3mb.I was also told that you need a 3mb connection to stream video, this is not correct.Tech will be coming out today between 8AM-5Pm.Call was with a Bryan.

11/23/2015:

Called 4:45PM no internet ticket# 1117140 Tech coming Tuesday between 8AM-5PM to check line.

02/13/2016:

Called lost internet again. Blinking DSL not internet light. Call a couple weeks ago and I was supposed to recieve a replacement router which I never did. This is the third or forth time this happened this year. Tech support claims to be sending me a replacement router. I have not heard back from them however as they said after they run tests and attempt repair they will call me back.

02/14/2017:

Called back, never heard from tech support again from the following night. The network speed according to the web admin has gotten slower and slower as the night passed (over a two and half hour period). I restarted the router and waited about 10 minutes but the speed did not approve. I than called support and the speed went back up to 5464 Kbps down and 767 Kbps up. I have inquired about the router that is supposed to be sent. Tech support put me on hold for somewhere around 15 minutes with no update. They refused to send a replacment without troubleshooting. I will call again another time.

04/14/2017:

Called somewhere around 8:30AM; speaking with Lucy; Billing me $60 for the upgrade to 12mb in which I am only getting 10mb. She transfered me out to an unkown extension in which I waited 5 minutes hung up and called back. Time 8:47AM. Got back on with Jennifer; she is claiming to be able to help. Jennifer corrected the current bill back to $34.99. Time 9:11AM. Trying to tell me the 12mb plan costs $59.99; originally the discussion was $45.99. Jennifer is transfering me to a Escalation manager; Laura.They are pulling the call history and will get back to me. They will email me the mail address to the president to file a complaint.

04/24/2017:

Called in the AM but was too busy to complete the call.

04/25/2017:

Agent transfered me to a escalation manager, Fernado. Repeating everything with Fernado to get him up to speed. They are going to pull the recording from April 14th and the recording from early March. Fernado said it will take 48-72 hours to complete this request. Call 1-203-614-5600 to file a complaint; this is a number to corporate.

04/28/2017:

8:10AM

Frontier charged me the full $92.68. Now I have to wait until the billing shows up on their end so I can get it refunded. Escalation Manager Dorrian is pulling the recordings from March and April 14th. He will contact me once completed; approximate time an hour. Current time 8:33AM.

I called again later that afternoon after work. End of call she said she was giving me a credit of $15 to bring the following month bill down to $44.99 until they can get everything sorted out.

04/29/2017:

12:45AMish

The escalation manager called me back to tell me they fixed the billing issue. My bank account still said otherwise but I will check sometime the following week.

05/08/2017:

Called corporate offices (office of the president) @8:20AM. Checked bill this morning and it is supposed to be at $44.99 but it is at $59.99. Brenda EMAIL: brenda.johnson@ftr.com; Reference my name and account number in the subject line. Brenda's office number 1-844-320-4445 Ext. 1124207. Brenda is crediting $16.11 to my account to correct the current billing from $59.99 to $44.99 for the month of May. Brenda is attempting to fix the promo credit for the 12mb connection. Brenda added the $15 promo credit to correct the billing; Order Confirmation: 57083506.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Mary Lunde almost 6 years ago

I've had Frontier for many years, and there service is awful I tried to cancel my phone line in Aug. 2017, she told me I was under contract until Nov., and if I wanted to get out of it cost would be $300.00 so I figured I'd wait until Nov. and call to cancel it. When I did call they said I was under contract for another yr. I said I didn't sign anything she told me that since I pd my Nov. bill that was an agreement for another yr. I asked how I was suppose to know that, and she said a email went out. I went through all my emails, and never received anything. My internet is so sporadic for what I pay for it. Unfortunately this is the only service I can get living in the country. I just given up on them. I hope someone can get some answers. Such POOR service...

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Jodi Zaun almost 6 years ago

I live in Jordan, MN and have had Frontier as my service provider for many years. Unfortunately it was the only available provider in our area. We have had countless issues with outages. Similar to others, they have run "checks" on our line and felt it was an issue within our house only to find out later it was an issue in their local hub. With another provider now being available, we jumped ship and today I tried to cancel my phone/internet and spent over 30 minutes on the phone with the customer service team. I have been told that due to having a "distinctive ring feature" (on a fax line that was disconnected/discontinued over 10 years ago), they had to first remove that line and that would open a job ticket. And, since they can't have two job tickets open at the same time, I need to call back on Monday once that ticket clears before I can cancel my service! Unbelievable! Similar to the post above, I'm also finding out that I will get an early cancellation fee on my internet because it just went through an auto-renewal. I asked the customer service team when did that happen and they indicated within the last 30 days. Since I signed up for auto-payment I stopped receiving bills by mail and email so I wasn't aware of that policy. They will certainly be hearing from me on Monday!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Douglas Fuller almost 6 years ago

Our internet service issues have finally been resolved after several years of slow and frustrating internet. Our issue now is getting our voicemail set up again. We have had voicemail for many years and suddenly 4 months ago it was not working and repeated chats and calls have still not resolved the issue. I have been told several times that the repair ticket is set and it should be fixed in 2 to 5 days. It never is. We run a small business out of our home and it is essential that we have a message system that works! I shudder to think of customers calling and not being able to leave a message. I am ready to end our service with Frontier because of this.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Lenny Peterson almost 6 years ago

The service provided outside of Chisago City by Frontier is not acceptable. We live near highway 8, less than two miles outside the city, in a populated area. Yet we are only able to receive 1.5 MB service levels. Frontier has offered solutions but none of them have ever worked to increase the speed. I would pay double what we pay now to receive a higher speed! Please force Frontier to invest in the infrastructure even if our rates go up because of it or let in the competition. The internet is a necessity in today's world.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Mary Moon almost 6 years ago

In Mound we had intermittent slow service, we "upgraded" to a higher speed through a phone conversation 5/2/18. On 5/7/18 a technician "upgraded" the service remotely at around 11:00 AM with internet service functioning as promised until 12:30PM the same day. Customer Service would be able to fix it in 10 days, (which was basically finishing the upgrade repair ticket). This was the last straw, at 6:00 PM on 5/7/18 we spoke with Customer Service located in W. Virginia asking to cancel our service. We were told we would need to call back in 1 hour to do that. We immediately called back to speak with someone else in Customer Service to begin the arduous process of leaving Frontier. After repeated assurance from Frontier our existing land line phone number was available for Mediacom. It actually became available on 6/2/18 nearly a month after the cancelation request. The billing cycle was beyond the 5/7/18 cancel date, and had been paid in full, yet Frontier continued to send statements for June and July service which wasn't provided. Either a lack of training or adherence to a poor business model made the 14 years we endured regrettable. Mound needs more options.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Emily Green almost 6 years ago

Service went out in March 2018. I called on March 8th, 9th, 14th, twice on the 20th, on the 22nd and 30th. Four of those times someone was scheduled to come out but a repair man only showed up once. On the 32st I got a telephone reminder of an appointment for later that same day - and that guy was a no-show as well. I called to cancel and tell them I would not pay for March service because we didn't receive services. I was assured the bill would be adjusted. It was not. When I tried canceling 4 different times I was hung up on. After I finally got the service cancelled Frontier still sent me another bill for the month after I had cancelled. I called again and they said they would adjust the bill - they took 29 dollars off and sent me to collections because I refusr to pay for services I did not receive or for services charged to me after I already cancelled my account.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Whitney Windschitl almost 6 years ago

I have to call several times a year because of service issues. I live in rural MN - Comfrey. (In fact I need to call again b/c I have to reset my internet 7+ daily b/c it goes out). I'm a teacher, so one summer, I had time to sit on hold and document all the times I needed to reset the internet. When I called, I was told they could see how often it was disconnecting - I then demanded I get credit for all that down time to my account since - I was told the only way I could get credit is for the times it went down from the time I called to get a person out there to when it was fixed - whats really strange - internet got better after I called in! I was also blamed that it was something in the house because of what "they were seeing" the guy called when he came out - he didnt' even step foot on my property b/c there was a broken line in their box!

Another time I called to complain about pricing, I mentioned I was having problems - she said I would have to call the line for scheduling that - I asked to be transferred to that line - she claimed "she didn't have the capability of transferring lines" um what? (I've been transferred several times!) In fact she "transferred" me but I think she just put me on hold, then hung up on me.

I have NEVER ONCE been told "I'm sorry for the inconvenience" when I call to get my service fixed - they're always rude and blame me for their service. The worst part is that even though my bills go up, the speed and service doesn't change because in my area - they only have one speed - and "it is what it is" according to them.

I'm hoping the one of the other 2 companies I can go with (one tower is 2 miles away but b/c of trees, I can't get service) will be able to help me out and get away from Frontier. Nothing you say or ask or complain about matters to them. They just keep pocketing money b/c they know rural Minnesotans have little options to go with.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Patrick Essen almost 6 years ago

We use Frontier's email service through Windows Live Mail and a few months ago, they made an update (for a Yahoo add-on) and our email quit working through Live Mail. This happened without any warning from Frontier, no notifications what so ever. After trying a number of things, I contacted Frontier's tech support (4 times) and got absolutely no help from them. Two times the tech that was helping me, had no idea of how to help and were getting advice from a manager that was over their shoulder. All their suggestions made it worse, then gave up and blamed it on Microsoft Live Mail. Even though I was getting a password error, they had no idea on what would work. I finally found some crib notes published by Frontier and Yahoo by searching through the internet and tried a few things, got it close to working. Then made some of my own changes and got my account to work. But, I have not been able to get my wife's account to work, even using the same parameters. Years ago, their tech support was really pretty good, but then was outsourced first to an Indian company and than based on their current incompetence seems to have outsourced their tech support to a U.S. based company, but they have no expertise at all. Praying that we don't any tech support needs in the future.....

1 Read

Default_avatar
Do Ro almost 6 years ago

We have been a business customer of Frontier in a rural area with no other options for many years. This complaint is not about the repair technicians themselves. They have been trying to serve us the best they can, however, for a communications company, their communications within the company needs much improvement. For years, whenever a maintenance call is started either for the phone or computer, they rely on reports within the area. If no one else has been able to call in on the widespread problem, Frontier will easily "solve" the problem by creating a ticket in which they will send out a tech in 2 weeks. I have to remind them that we are a business, then, sometimes the service ticket has a lesser wait time. Before I make the dreaded 3 hour call to the customer service for a business, I've learned that I check with other businesses in the area to see if they have on outage on their phone or computer. I also unplug & plug in the modem. This saves about an hour of troubleshooting on the phone. I have had the following issues happen as I am on the phone for hours after that trying to get a tech to come to the business to correct the problem: Long wait times! Even though I called the Business line, the residential line troubleshoots first for at least 20 minutes, then I was transferred to someone who took another 10 minutes and told me that there were no payment issues, then I was transferred finally to the business line. I was told that there were 99 reports in our area, but then he realized it was a different state. Then, after 2 hours from my original call, the tech helped me reboot, etc. Just as 3 hours had passed on the phone, the status of our area showed up miraculously and reported that there was a technician dispatched in the area.
July 2018 was similar. I talked with someone and was told they would call back with an anticipated time for a tech to come out. With deadlines to meet, with no internet, I called back an hour later. No notes on the first call could be found. This person promised we'd have someone by the next day for sure. The next morning, I talked with someone that said our situation had been taken care of and the ticket was pulled. Yet, no internet and now, no ticket! I got transferred to billing. Then, we actually had a tech show up. The tech was given the wrong IP number for our modem by Frontier which caused more delay. All this time is wasted for our personnel on the phone and Frontier's.
Many times, our customers call us to see if we have internet or phone connections because their service was interrupted. Many times, they have had to sit on the phone for hours trying to get help, when instead, it is a problem for a group of customers with an phone/computer outage. Please, if Frontier is scheduled to fix a problem or update, give everyone a warning ahead of time. Many of our companies do that so we can plan ahead for deadlines, phone calls, and jobs. The communication company needs to improve the communication within their own company!!

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Charles Umbanhowar almost 6 years ago

I’ve had multiple bad experiences with Frontier. Some of these fit into your other categories but I am going to list them all in one place. I live near Dennison, MN. Upshot is that I have no real alternatives to Frontier and I can’t work at home because speeds are too slow.

1. Speed. As of last year our download speeds are finally close to the 6 mbps we pay for and the upload speeds at 1. Before then we were often lucky to get 3 for download and .4 for upload and there were many interruptions in service. 6 is better than 3 but a far cry from the 20-25 that actually defines high speed and that I need for my work. One of their field techs told me 3-4 was as good as it gets in Twin Cities. An outright lie (I hope).

2. Contacted AG’s office in 2015/2016 to complain about poor speed. They forwarded my complaint to Frontier. Rather than deal with problem Frontier’s solution was to have their lawyers write me a nasty letter saying I had no standing because bill was not in my name.

3. Our service is better because fiber was installed to a point ~1/4 mile from our house in 2017. When I noticed fiber being installed in nearby Sogn Valley I contacted Frontier Customer support to ask about fiber near my place but they said they had no knowledge of the fiber being installed where I saw it being put into ground. It took three emails to local/regional person in 2016 to even get a response. Install crew in 2017 told my neighbor that fiber would be branched out and run past my house. This still hasn’t happened and email to local Frontier manager on Sept 14 is still unanswered as of Oct. 29.

4. Recently we have had problems which have affected phone or internet service. In both cases when I called customer service they had no clue on what was going on. With our last issue we were initially told that the entire region was out but Frontier was working on it; then two days later that it wasn’t a regional problem and that it would take a week for tech to show up. Tech showed up 3 days later but didn’t connect with us first (or called the home number that wasn’t working) and so we weren’t home to let them into house. Problem turned out to be with wiring in house but we couldn’t test easily because NID has no jack to plug in phone. Asked for a new NID but Frontier tech simply installed a new box with no jack. Their own on-line help suggests connecting a phone to jack to test inside vs outside problems. Oh well, now I know to use multi-meter to check line.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Clinton Anderson almost 6 years ago

Just a follow up.. after test driving my new provider for a bit I decided it was time to cut ties with frontier..

they are such a fine company they are charging me 10 dollars TO CANCEL!

yup. you gotta pay them to go away.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Ed Gerken almost 6 years ago

Unfortunately Frontier is the only available provider in our area. We have had countless issues with outages. Similar to others, they have run "checks" on our line and felt it was an issue within our house only to find out later it was an issue in their local hub. When we call to tell them the same thing is happening, they still go through a series of standard questions without listening. Last year our phone service was out just about every other week and we would tell them our whole rural neighborhood was out, they still had to run a line check to see if it was in our house. Very poor customer service.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Vincent Dodge almost 6 years ago

Frontier has been profoundly disappointing with their internet service. Slow, inconsistent speeds combined with periods of no service at all. The last time that I called to resolve the issue, their initial assessment was that there was a problem with my phone lines for DSL. We set up a tech appointment for a week later. A week without service with no corresponding change in billing. The issue was repaired without the technician entering into my house. Our lines were not bad. The issue was with Frontier's service.

This is not the first time that something like this has happened.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Rachel Depa almost 6 years ago

Frontier's standards for quality and customer service have become a joke around town. Their service is inconsistent at best. When it comes to billing, they have messed up our bill more times than I can count. We called because the bill continued to rise unexpectedly, and they offered us a better deal on a higher speed to stay. We made the switch and our bill was nothing close to what they offered. When we called to complain, the answer we got was they were not authorized to offer that. They charged us a fee to switch to that, then they charged us a fee to switch back to our previous plan, neither of which were disclosed. Then when we called to discuss that they put us back to the previous speed and still had the higher bill, they said they weren't authorized to offer us the lower price again for the previous speed. Their lack of integrity cost us hundreds of dollars in messed up fees and took months to straighten out. It is sad that a company like this exists. And if you try to talk to management they refuse. Their customer service and internet service is horrible. There is no accountability for their billing practices. They add things to your bill, never mention it to you, and then it takes months to get it off of your bill. They refuse to refund what they have taken. If there was any other option out here we would gladly leave them.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Rebecca Mix almost 6 years ago

After Frontier raised my guaranteed for life price on internet service, I called to question the change. The first gentleman I spoke to was unable to help me and unwilling to research the problem further so I requested a manager. I was put on hold for more and 45 minutes to get some one who said they were a supervisor. But that person was also unable to help me. She said she would look into my price for life guarantee and get right back to me. Again I was placed on hold for an inordinate amount of time. Probably in the hopes I would just hang up. I have never worked with another company will such uninformed and unhelpful customer service.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Alan Salmela almost 6 years ago

This investigation should have taken place at least ten years ago..Frontier has been very bad for at least that long. .I can't imagine anyone would come to this site and praise the job Frontier Communications has done. While most of the complaints I've read here relate to Frontier's slow and archaic internet service, and their poor, slow reaction to problems, I am just as concerned about their very slow response to telephone outages. Living in the country where we do, here is not reliable cell phone service so we are forced to maintain and rely on our "land line" service from Frontier.

Whenever we get a large amount of rain, we lose our telephone service. That requires a drive into town where we can call Frontier from a cell phone to report the outage. this summer, we had two outages within 30 days. Each time we called, the service ticket was written for 9 days from the date of the call, NINE DAYS. So we are supposed to go without phone service, which includes Emergency Service contacts, for NINE DAYS. Should we need emergency medical assistance, or have a fire, for that nine days we're simply out of luck. Frontier's only response is: that's the earliest dy we can get there. This problem occurs anytime there is heavy rain, which this summer was often. By the way, for the 18 days we lost service in August, I suggested that Frontier credit our bill for one month of service. They were unwilling to make any kind of a financial

I don't even want to attempt to chronicle how unreliable the internet service has been. The outages are frequent, the service is slow, and the pricing is not competitive. Frontier has a horrible reputation here in Scandia. Their solution is to always try to upgrade to a higher level of service.

I've experienced phone service from competitors of Frontier, and he service I received from those companies was many times greater that Frontier.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Erin Dockal almost 6 years ago

From Denham, MN.

I don't even know where to start with this company.

I first dealt with them while living in town, a rural town of 300, but still "in town." I was quoted $19.99 per month and was sent a router to plug into a phone line that I originally told them I did not have (no phone jacks inside the house due to recent remodel). I called tech support and was told to plug it into the box mounted on the outside of my house and string the line though my kitchen window. While this was laughable, I did so and happily paid the $19.99 as they refused to come install an indoor jack without a fee like they previously said they would for no charge. When my bill rose to $35.99 a few months later I ended up having to call every month to get a $15.00 credit and every month they said they were unsure why it was happening but neglected to ever fix it.

I eventually moved out of town to live with my boyfriend who has been with Frontier since building his home in 2008 and was appalled at the price he was paying for such shoddy internet service. The trouble I had with them previously was nothing compared to what we were about to encounter.

Firstly, I must mention that the initial nightmare of trying to get his ex's name off the bill was beyond ridiculous. It took around two months of phone calls and emails to get it sorted out, along with them eventually demanding that she be present to remove her name. We ended up having to bother her multiple times while she was at work with 3-way calls (between her, Frontier and ourselves) as distance and work schedules made it hard for her to just pop over here to talk on the phone.

In an effort to shorten up what is becoming a rather long story, the situation in this very rural area (poor to no cell service and reliant on landline for emergencies) is identical to what so many commentators here are dealing with: slow speeds, call drops when communicating with customer service, a lack in communication between reps and repair men (I was once given the personal cell phone number of a repair man, oddly the rep told me to just call him myself, only to call and find out that it was a man I knew personally who retired from working with Frontier months ago!), constant need to reset routers, and, my biggest concern, the unwillingness of Frontier to charge everyone in the area the same amount for their slower than slow internet speeds (ours being touted as "High Speed Internet Max" yet only receiving .73 Mbps upload speed and .43 Mbps download speed). The last time I called about poor speeds with a high price tag I was politely told that I should keep in mind that we are basically grandfathered in out here and that they no longer service this area for new customers ... I was offered an insulting one-time $5 credit which I've yet to see.

Prior to learning about this investigation, I'd personally been doing speed tests and collecting price information from the neighbors in an effort to have something to fight with when I call back and try AGAIN to get our monthly rate lowered due to the incredibly slow speed. One neighbor, about a mile away, pays the same as we do, $50.99, with an even slower speed test than us, and another neighbor, also a mile away, pays $24.99 with slightly faster download speeds (1.75 Mbps). I understand that we are "in the middle of nowhere" and should almost expect to have poor-quality internet, but scaring customers to continue paying an arm and a leg for it is just awful. Basically they can charge what they want as they know we have no other option. Frontier has been nothing but a hassle with no positive outcome to date. I, as well as many others, would love to see something done about this horribly unethical scam they have going on.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
John Frischmann almost 6 years ago

I called Frontier telling them that I needed to extend my wi-fi to my house which was abut 150 feet from where I currently had wi-fi (in an apartment above my garage). The rep suggested I purchase a product that was actually only intended to extend wi-fi within the same structure, not 150' away. A frontier site tech told me this was the wrong unit. I paid $160 for this unit. I promptly called Frontier and told them they had advised my incorrectly to buy this uint and I needed to return this unit. After talking to a Frontier rep, then getting bounced back to vendor they told me I had to call them, the vendor telling me I had to call Frontier... After about 2 months I finally got sent a return box with the return sticker. I promptly shipped it back. I was paying $40/month for 4 months during all this. It took many calls to finally get this automatic payment off my account and many other calls to get credit for the payments I had made. Probably the worst customer service I ever experienced in over 40 years of being a customer of various companies. They have a history in Two Harbors and are known locally as a terrible company.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Kristine Solheid almost 6 years ago

Frontier customer service is terrible. They have no answers for fixes for any issues when you call them and simply try to sell you additional services at a higher price. For years, we called on a regular basis to request better internet or ask why we were paying for speeds we were not getting. There was never any type of reasonable answer and never a solution to the problem. After cancelling internet, our basic phone bill all of the sudden increased by $20.00 per month. When I called to ask why, I was told that they had mistakenly continued promotional pricing on our account - apparently for over 20 years - and an "audit" had just caught it. Seemed like suspicious timing to me. I requested then that we get the same pricing that they were advertising for new customers, which is almost $50.00 per month less and was told we could not. Again, they tried to sell me a "bundle" of internet, dish etc. for a lower price than our basic one line phone service. Finally, I got a customer service representative to give us a monthly credit for a one-year time period with no guarantees after that. We are completely stuck with paying whatever they want to charge us because we need a land line. We have JUST one basic land line to our home and pay almost $80.00 per month. Any time that I have called and requested to be sent to a "manager" or someone with more authority that request is denied. They refuse to escalate requests when asked and there is limited or no contact information to reach anyone other than the first line customer service representatives. There were times when internet was out and they said they could not get to it for days. Neighbors have had internet out for weeks with no resolution. Frontier does not have to provide good customer service or respond to issues, outages or complaints as their customers have no other choices. There are ZERO other service providers in our area, giving Frontier a monopoly and the ability to do whatever they want providing poor product and poor customer service at unfairly high prices.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Shahna Voita almost 6 years ago

Our residence has had Frontier phone and "broadband" internet service since 2010. We have had repeated service calls for many different issues. We have had no phone service for a week, scratching/static on line for months, inability to dial out even with dial tone. As we don't use the phone that often it hasn't been an inconvenience for us, BUT it is a service we are paying for monthly as part of their cheaper "package" in order to receive their supposed broadband internet service. The phone issues were eventually repaired/addressed but it took multiple calls/visits only to find out that the equipment at fault is at a switching station and nothing to do with our wiring. We have NEVER had advertised broadband speeds or even close. We average 2-3 Mb/sec download and never have reached even 1Mb/sec upload. The FCC has defined broadband as at least 25Mb/sec download. After multiple calls/service inquiries and multiple visits by technicians, I was finally able to speak with a district supervisor who told me that the connection box approximately 1/2 mile from our house was outdated and needed to be replaced. He admitted that as there are only approximately 30-40 customers being served by that box that this wouldn't be replaced anytime soon as it wasn't cost effective. He told me all of this during a phone conversation and would not put any of this in writing. Our internet service continues to degrade as more individuals are added to this service point/box and calling for technical support/repair does not good. I just had another technician out a couple of weeks back who gave me his supervisor's name and phone number and asked for me to call and complain as the speed we are getting is all we are ever going to receive until the equipment is replaced and/or upgraded. We are not receiving (and never have) the service level we pay for (even with the disclaimer that speeds advertised may not be available in all areas). I have contacted many other providers near us, but no other broadband internet service provider has service to our residence. Our only other option is satellite broadband internet, which is not an option due to data caps and poor latency inherent with this technology. Frontier also continually renews our 2 year contract upon our expiration date. I have asked about not renewing this contract, but then am told that I would have to pay more for our service if it wasn't "locked" into a 2 year pricing guarantee. Very, very unhappy with the service we are paying for, but there are no other good options available to us.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Shahna Voita almost 6 years ago

I receive electronic billing and just received the notice on this pending investigation in the mail on November 10th.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Connie Riemers almost 6 years ago

My internet went down on 11/6/18. No resolution was found in helping with the tech desk. They needed to send someone to the house. The wait time would be 10 days...10 days. Can you believe that for a company in control of your internet?

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Randy Painter almost 6 years ago

I live just outside Clearwater. Am using DSL service. Of all my years using internet services in many place, Frontier has to be the worst ever. My internet drops a couple times per week. I cringe when a storm comes in because it knocks out my internet. There is no way we are getting the advertised speed for what we pay for. Maybe once a month its fairly good. Have gotten to know the techs pretty good since they come out so much. Even they state the equipment frontier uses is not enough to handle the amount of customers they are servicing. When I look for a different company to do business, frontier has a lock on my area. Unless I want to go satellite and spend big bucks. I live out in the country. Where is the fiber optic that was supposed to laid to service us. Had one laid a couple years ago across my yard. Thought we were getting it. NOPE. A big business a couple miles down the road had that installed for themselves. But still went through my front yard. BS. State of Minnesota needs to quit giving companies lock in areas. Does not promote competition! If anything, make frontier sell the company to a company who takes care of there customers!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Bradley Kothman almost 6 years ago

Customer service at Frontier is very poor. Waiting on hold for 15 to 20 minutes to get to tech support is common. And everytime you call they make you go over the same questions again and again, phone number, password, address, name. Frontier has no respect for my time. If you do get lucky enough to schedule a tech visit they will tell you a date, but often no time.

The techs have actually been pretty good once they get here, but often they have told me the problem in in the lines owned by Frontier, not in my house. But a few weeks later when there is a problem the customer service people make you go through all the same steps of rebooting the router, and all that other nonsense before they will report a problem.

Horrible to waste a customers time like that.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Nick DeGidio almost 6 years ago

I've had Frontier for going on 4 years now. The first year or two everything went pretty well, no real issues aside from the occasional need to restart my router (maybe once or twice a year). The last 2 years though have been an absolute nightmare. More often than not we have to reset the router 5+ times a day, and even then it only helps the issue 50% of the time. I've spent hours on the phone with tech support(whom I have no issue with), they always tried to at least come and take a look at it. The problem was that they could never seem to fix the issue. They basically rewired the phone line in my house and gave me 4 new routers and best case scenario it would be fairly stable for a week or so and go back to normal horrible quality. Even when it does work, it is usually FAR slower than what I pay for. I pay for 25mb/s internet and on good days it would run at 10-15mb/s, bad days it was in the 100's kb/s range. I've tried getting my own router and hooking that in with theirs and it sped things up a little but I'm still not getting my money's worth. More often than not lately I've just been using my mobile hotspot and cell phone data to power our internet. I have an appointment this week to change providers because of how bad the service has been.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Russell Burnett almost 6 years ago

Fine frontier,give us our money back,take away there ability to do business in Mn.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Phillip Bakken almost 6 years ago

Well, I don't know where to begin. They have actually brought tears to my eyes because of my whole and utter frustration. As mentioned by one of the other customers here in northern Minnesota they are considered a joke. When questioned their response is "you are in a high traffic area". Then they ask if you would like a speed upgrade. I have tried unsuccessfully to obtain a speed upgrade. I have been a Frontier customer for as long as I can remember and never have I been treated so disrespectfully. I found out, after talking to 4 representatives, and settling on a price for the upgrade and what speed I was to get, that they couldn't give it to me as I was late on a payment. I could not believe my ears. I asked the representative to please have the supervisor review my numerous calls so we could discuss the inconsistency and fraudulent representations that were made to me. This was over a month ago and I have not received any communication from them whatsoever.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Phillip Bakken almost 6 years ago

A gentlemen from Century Link made the comment that because we (Tower/Lake Vermilion) are surrounded by water and large pine trees that reliable internet is probably not doable unless delivered by cable. I guess this explains the many excuses from Frontier. If this is indeed a fact it would be nice if some agency would provide that kind of information.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Brian McCarthy almost 6 years ago

Frontier overcharged me for the first 4 months of my contract by $25. I was told one price and charged $25 more for the first 4 months. I had to call them every month to get them to reimburse me. I was also charged for a premium house phone package that I never requested. This was after they finally stopped overcharging me for the service and also went on for at least 2 months. Customer service did not believe me so they launched a "investigation" in which they went thru the recorded phone messages between us and finally reimbursed me a month later. Also, for the last 3 month, like clockwork on Friday my internet would go out for the entire weekend and come back on Monday. This was a HUGE inconvenience since a have to have internet for my job (not to mention my kids use it quite a bit for entertainment). It was almost not worth calling customer service as they were never able to fix the problem and the wait for the chat would be almost an hour as it was probably affecting a lot more people. When they go through resetting the modem and figure out they cannot fix the problem they would have to make an appointment with a technician which I was told I would be charged for. I literally only have 1 other option for internet in my area (Direct TV) so I'm feeling very taken advantage of. There is also a mew charge on my bill for $6.99 that raised my bill up again. This has yet to be explained.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Roxann Winter almost 6 years ago

ditto! to what so many have already said regarding slow, unreliable internet connections and price hikes -- since 2001 for us. Only one of my family members can use the internet at a time most days; ridiculous! It is awful to feel at the mercy of a (crappy) business in rural MN. Please help. Frontier must be held accountable and improve. Thank you!!

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Jill Mealey almost 6 years ago

I've basically got the same issues as what's already been stated. Our internet only works about 2/3 of the time. I'm constantly having to shut it down and restart. I do not have enough strength to use Netflix nor can I upload a television show using On Demand TV through our satellite service. The last conversation I had with a tech - he told me that my internet strength was well below the recommended speed but there was nothing he could do about it. I asked him if I could get a discounted rate since my service is so bad, his response was that I was getting the best price he could give me. I pay $95 a month for internet and a landline. Also, my landline through Frontier had clearly been out for very likely a few months. At one point I realized that my phone had not rang in a very very long time. I listened for a dial tone... nothing. So I had been paying for a landline that wasn't even working. He stated that there was no way for them to know it was out therefor could not give me a credit on that either. I find it very disturbing that Frontier is willing to take peoples money that have no other options because of where we live and rip us off with their horrible service. I'm planning to go with AT&T internet service very soon since that is about my only other option right now.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Jackie Bristol almost 6 years ago

I work for a company in Mountain Lake MN - We are also limited in our options for internet service providers. We have been with Frontier for many years. Our download and upload speeds have always been very low. Last summer our internet went down and when I called into customer service I was told that it would be month before a tech could come out. I stressed that we are a business and we rely on the internet. We were down for a few days and our IT person was able to come in (they are not usually on site) and he was able to get our internet working again. He had kept the technicians cell number and called him directly, so we didn't have to wait a month. Awhile later we had another service call unrelated to internet issues and the tech told us that we were now able to get a higher internet speed and did we want to upgrade and change our contract. We agreed to the higher speed and new contract - however that hasn't really benefitted us. We are still at half the speed we should be at. We have since been contacted by another internet provider that has upgraded their servicing area and we would be able to switch to them. However, we contacted Frontier to ask about our current contract and we were told that we would have to buy out our contract which would total over $5000.00.

0 Reads

Bootstrap_10218078282535135
Wendy Hoeck almost 6 years ago

Service is not reliable at all.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Daryl Tweeton almost 6 years ago

Comment on Docket P407, 405/CI-18-122. Daryl Tweeton, Apple Valley, MN. I am very well satisfied with our Frontier Service. I suppose satisfied customers are unlikely to comment, so I wanted to offer my comments about the good service Frontier has provided us over many years. We have regular land line, fast broadband internet, and e-mail through Frontier. The people who came to our home to help us change from dial up to broadband got that set up for us with no problems. The reliability has been excellent. It has been many months since we have had any interruption, and any past interruptions have been short. We stream Netflix movies and the internet speed has always been adequate. The support people we have talked with have been easy to reach, always courteous and knowledgeable, and have provided answers promptly. We formerly used Outlook for e-mail. Frontier support helped us deal with various problems with Outlook, even though it is a Microsoft product. We changed to using Frontier directly for our e-mail and are pleased with it. We have three e-mail addresses that Frontier helped us set up. The Frontier e-mail has always worked well after the initial setup, and we have not needed to contact support any time since then. The rate we pay seems reasonable for the services we are getting.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
John Wallace almost 6 years ago

I have had Frontier for 10 years because they have been the ONLY internet service provider in our area (not counting satellite). The phone service is as bad as it gets with the wait times, untrained customer service people who cannot help me and end up transferring me multiple times. More than once I got transferred so many times the call was dropped. An hour wasted. Now I have to start over. Unreliable service for sure. I've had to call them with one issue or another every year whether it's slow internet, no internet, bad modem, billing charges that I didn't know about, and so on.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Bill Sherck almost 6 years ago

I am laughing a bit as I write. Frontier’s technician was supposed to be here between 8 am and 12pm today. It is now after noon and we haven’t heard a word. Another half-day of work taken off for Frontier’s LOUSY service. Same story, different day. This will be visit number six or so. Each time they come out they “fix” our intermittent internet service. Next day? The internet signal stops working . My wife and I have spent countless hours online with Frontier’s support folks trying to get our service to work and also trying to get our money back. We pay $107 a month for service that drops daily. We have documented our conversations with the support folk who freely admit they can see our service drop multiple times a day. That said, we don’t always meet their “required” numbers of drops to send techs. The support folks always tell us we live in a “high use” area. We live in the City of Independence’s low development area. This company is taking our money and falsely advertising quality and service. We feel completely helpless as we sit on hold and receive the same excuses each time we try and look for solutions to our nonstop problems with Frontier. PLEASE HELP US!

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Jerilyn Schaffhausen over 5 years ago

Here we go again. It took over an hour to talk to someone only to determine it will be a five day wait before they can look at why our internet is down for the 500th time. We have a home business that we depend on a reliable internet connection for. Unfortunately, the only choice in our area is Frontier and we all know that we cannot depend on them for anything. The only thing you can depend on them for is a VERY LONG wait time for phone calls and technical issues (we are talking days here).....

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Kathleen Phillips over 5 years ago

commentKathleen Phillips MPUC Docket Number P407,405/CI-18-122 Kathleen Phillips, Burnsville, MN Frontier has the worst customer service ever. I could no longer stand the problems with our Frontier phone service so I ported my phone over to an Internet phone. Frontier could not even get that right. I have included a chat with their customer service representative on line trying to rectify the issues that caused by shutting off al service after I only requested canceling the phone service. Jun 30, 2016 6:12am Worst service I have ever experienced . I have spent over 10 hours the last two days on the phone with representatives and one manager. They cut off my Internet after assuring me that porting my phone number would have no effect on my Internet which I depend on for business. Ticket 68000877. Thanks to Mike last night who answered my call and put me on hold for an hour and then never came back 6PM CT. Every rep I talk to I give my cell number so they can call me back so if we are disconnected they can call me back. I have been disconnected 10 times now. Guess what? Not one has called me back. I have a log of all of the reps names I have spoken with, so if anyone at Frontier is interested in fixing their system I can give them names ,dates and times. Their chat stinks also. Reps promise to call back..no luck there either. Thanks to the manager out of West Virginia who yesterday told me that there was no issue and my Internet had been restored at 7 AM...still not working. Thanks to Maleka and Harley who hung up on me and did not call back...seriously. This is customer service??? If anyone really cares you can reach me at XXXXXXXXXX today until 2PM.

6 29 MALEKA has call back number repeated it transferred me back to customer service and I was disconnected again Harley (spelling) customer service disconnected

Mke customer service put me on hold for an hour Kiera customer service Everett Washington on the phone for two hours customer service could not resolve issue phone 877 433 3806 extension 0073

John Customer service technician will have to come out and physically connect service

Spoke with Betty supervisor will check.

In the end It took two weeks to have my Internet reconnected.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Jessica Feltmann over 5 years ago

Frontier had never been a stand up company to follow through on holding up there end of the bargain when it comes to their service. There service is TERRIBLE. In our home we upgraded to the 24mbps and we still can not stream more than one thing at a time. If someone is watching Netflix or gaming that is all you can do on out internet. I pay $75/month for one person to be able to use it at a time. We continually have to restart the modem while streaming because it will lag so bad that it will stop. When I upgraded I was told that I would be able to use all of the devices in my home, that when asked by the tech I listed off(3 phones, playstation, Directv, chromebook, and home computer), none of them we can use at the same time. They are robbing people because in our area, until this coming summer, we have no other options.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Bill Sherck over 5 years ago

We have given up on Frontier. After countless hours on the phone and more than half a dozen visits from Frontier's technicians we have decided to take action. We can no longer pay over $100 a month for internet and phone service that does not consistently work. We can not conduct work from home as internet drops repeatedly during the day. Frontier says it tracks the drops and can see our weak connection. The techs come out and "fix" the problem, drive away, and our internet drops. We have asked for our money back for years without success. We believe the last tech was actually being honest when he told us our home sits near the end of "Frontier's line" and we will always receive a weak signal. For those who have called Frontier's support line, it is an endless maze that never seems to lead to someone who can help. We want our money back. It's that simple. We paid (for years) for a service that has never worked.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Brian Perkett over 5 years ago

My concerns with Frontier relate to a recent interaction I had with them where I requested: a) shut down our vacation home telephone service (we're going to use our cell phones), and b) increase our internet service speed to 18MBS. Regarding the increase in internet speed, I make it a point to ask Frontier every year if I can get better service than the ~5MBS we've had for years. In my discussion with the customer service rep I was told that I could now get 18MBS service - fantastic - sign me up! And, to keep pace with technology, I requested a new router at the same time. It was at this point that the issues began:

1. Immediately after I requested the faster internet service, my cabin lost service. I could tell this because I rely on Nest cameras and an internet thermostat to control heat during the winter and I lost both.

2. I drove 4 hours to my install the new router Frontier said had been shipped. When I arrived - no router. And, I confirmed internet was down at my home.

3. I called Customer Service and was told that the first Customer Service rep had screwed up big time because that person failed to mention: a) the faster internet service couldn't be supported until a technician was sent to my home to change the wiring on the outside of my home, and then install the new router (apparently required for what Frontier calls "Vantage" service). b) the new Vantage service was incompatible with my existing DSL router, so when the new service was turned on, I instantly lost service.

I told the Customer Service rep that losing internet service created a huge issue for me because I had no means of monitoring my vacation home's temperature. I asked that the "old" DSL service be turned on immediately so I could restore some functionality - I would deal with the faster Vantage service in the spring. The Customer Service rep forwarded me to Technical Support.

In working with the Technical Support rep (who was great to work with and tried very hard), I was told that MANY other customers were calling in with the same issue as mine - Customer Service had failed to inform new Vantage customers of the need for a new router, new wiring, and a technician visit. The tech rep tried to get my old DSL service restored, but was unsuccessful. She said the only way to get DSL turned back on was thru Customer Service - so I was forwarded back to Customer Service.

The ensuing call is what drove me to file these comments. I was told by the Customer Service Rep that my account had a password on it, and they couldn't help me without it. Hold on....I just got off the phone with from two calls with Frontier, and neither rep asked for a password, which I didn't have. So what do we do, Frontier? Oh....we'll call the service number to confirm it's you. You mean the number you've already removed? Oh yeah.....I guess we can't do that. So what do we do, Frontier, so you can verify it's me and you can get my DSL service restored? Well....the only remaining option is to send you a letter in the mail so you can confirm your identity that way. Seriously? You create a password so I can't get into my own account? You can't send a text to my cell phone, which is what I set as my new contact number for the account? Nope. You can't send an email to the account so I can confirm it? Nope.

In short, my concerns with this interaction:

1. Frontier changed my service without: a) informing me I'd lose my current service instantly because Vantage doesn't work with my existing router. b) telling me a technician would have to visit my home to install new wiring and router before Vantage would work. c) offering to set up an appointment for the technician to do the work.

2. Frontier set up some form of password on my account, without my consent or knowledge, which prevented me from being able to get service restored in a timely manner.

3. Frontier uses archaic technology for providing Customer Support, namely it doesn't allow account verification through a designated cell number or its related texting capability. Or, to provide account confirmation via email. Bottom line: account verification should be a matter of minutes, not days or weeks.

4. It concerns me to hear from Frontier Technical Support staff that my issue is common - Customer Service is not educating consumers about what it will take to install higher-speed internet and that a service interruption is likely as a result.

5. That Frontier Customer Support is inconsistent in dealing with consumers, i.e. two of the three calls I had with Frontier didn't require a password or account verification, but the third (and most important) call did.

My next steps with Frontier will be: a) to refuse to pay for internet service for the month of March, 2019 given Frontier is directly responsible for my service outage. b) confirm my account when their letter finally reaches me. c) set up a password for my account, at my discretion. d) determine why they aren't using the cell number I specified in the initial conversation as my primary contact number. e) get DSL service reinstalled ASAP so I can use my Nest cameras and internet thermostat. f) set up an appointment for spring to have a technician change wiring and install the Vantage router.

To say I am disgusted with the performance of Frontier Communications in this matter would be an understatement - if I had a choice I would never work with Frontier again. But....given my vacation home is located in a remote area of Northern Minnesota, I have no choice.....I will have to put up with Frontier until such time the Minnesota Public Utility Commission mandates better performance from Frontier.

Thank you for considering my input in this matter.

0 Reads