This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Default_avatar
Nicholas Garbis over 5 years ago

YES. These are great steps forward and should be supported. Our electricity is becoming less carbon intense each year, so moving as much transportation to use electric power as possible, as soon as possible, will accelerate overall carbon reductions in MN and set a great example for other states to follow. Please support Xcel in their request to pilot innovative programs like this.

5 Reads

Bootstrap_2134614656600435
Jukka Kukkonen over 5 years ago

Yes. As an EV driver I know how much better these cars are compared to traditional internal combustion vehicle technology. They are fun to drive, cheaper to own and use, and most of all reduce air emissions and our dependency on oil that is all imported to Minnesota causing a lot of environmental hazards in the process. It is crazy that we import oil, export a lot of money to pay for it and then even burn all that oil here causing a lot of emissions. Xcel Energy’s petition accelerates the shift to electric transportation by making it easier both for individuals and fleets to make this shift. Personally I’m very excited to see that this will help us to get electric busses to Twin Cities since those will have a big impact on our everyday air emissions. I also like the public charging pilot. Most common questions that you hear from potential PEV buyers have to do with availability of public charging. This pilot program would make sure that we have proper public charging infrastructure in Twin Cities area, not just for individual car users but also for fleet customers, taxis and shared mobility providers. And this charging infrastructure doesn’t just serve people living in Twin Cities but actually provides outstate PEV owners an easy way to charge their cars when they visit Twin Cities. This will provide a solid foundation for all drivers in Minnesota and make it easier for them to shift to driving electric.

5 Reads

Bootstrap_707762893372
Dan Johnson over 5 years ago

YES. Minnesota should be setting an example for others to follow to help eliminate our reliance on foreign oil along with all the of politics attached to it. Additionally this plan would support the way for a cleaner and healthier environment. Electric cars are quickly gaining popularity as people are starting to realize the benefits of ownership and electric vehicle prices drop, thus become less of a barrier to entry.

5 Reads

Bootstrap_10157131542938933
Emmanuel Canaan over 5 years ago

Yes. Electric vehicles (EVs) are the future of transportation. Unlike other transportation options, EVs can be powered entirely by renewable energy, allowing these vehicles to become cleaner as time goes on and electric grids shift more and more towards renewable energy power generation. With this in mind, it is essential in that there be many public charging options for EV owners who cannot charge at home. This is especially important in cold climates, such as that of Minnesota, where EV efficiency is very negatively impacted by cold weather. The single most common questions I receive from potential EV owners are, "What will my range be?," followed immediately by, "What will my range be in winter?" Efficiency losses of 30% or more are not uncommon in these months and having a variety of options to charge will help alleviate range anxiety for many owners and prevent dangerous situations that can arise when drivers are stranded after depleting their battery much faster than expected in sub-zero temperatures. I readily bought an EV because I could see that they were superior to combustion engines in nearly every way and I knew that I could easily charge at home since I am lucky enough to have an enclosed garage. If I couldn't charge at home, as my apartment and condo dwellers cannot, I would have seriously questioned the logic of my choice given the current dearth of public charging options. We should not reject this proposal when we have a company ready and willing to help solve a problem that is already apparent (and we have yet to even see the full brunt of the coming EV revolution).

2 Reads

Bootstrap_10213133563954193
Roger Klisch over 5 years ago

Yes. I am an EV driver and strong proponent of EV technology and renewable energy. EV's are perhaps the only mode of transportation that can eventually be 100% clean. Even with the current energy mix on the grid, my Chevy Bolt creates the equivalent emissions of a 70 MPG car (or like a scooter). That will only get better, and someday it can be zero emissions. Climate reports are coming out saying we need to make drastic changes soon. Well, Are we? Or will we sit on our hands and allow the status quo money stream continue to rule emission based transportation? The technology is there. Is the will there? For any concerned and visionary person, it ought to be.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Dawn Pape over 5 years ago

Yes, this is a step in the right direction to reduce climate change and we need to take every single step possible.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jason R Lord over 5 years ago

Yes! Living in Minneapolis as an avid biker and walker, electric cars - and particularly buses! - are key to healthy air quality. In winter, biking behind cars & busses can make it painful to breathe. Electric motors not only clear the air, but will make taking transit and living near a bus line much more enjoyable. Driving an electric car allows our family to change at night through Windsourse when demand is low, and drive on Minnesota wind power throughout the day - for a faction of the cost of oil. Support & promote Minnesota energy and clean air through EVs for a strong Minnesota!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Gary Schettl over 5 years ago

YES! I own two electric vehicles. They offer dozens of advantages over gas or diesel. We need to build the charging/fueling infrastructure that supports electric vehicles. Build level 3 charging stations at locations where a short visit is typical, (< 1 hour). Build level 2 charging stations where longer visits are typical, (> 1 hour).
Thanks for promoting home grown energy!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Cindy Schwie over 5 years ago

Yes! I am very concerned about the impacts of climate change. Transitioning from petro addiction is just the beginning, but an excellent start is having level 2 charging stations readily available.

1 Read

Bootstrap_1406213002848609
Steven Theisen over 5 years ago

Yes! However, the public funds should be used almost exclusively for Level 3, fast chargers. The general industry is moving to long-range electric vehicles and the majority of charging can and should be done in the homeowner's garage. The exception is high-mileage trips that bring people into the metro from areas like Red Wing, Duluth, etc. In those cases time is of the highest priority. The level 3 fast chargers should have multiple heads and allow for multiple connections simultaneously. For instance, if someone truly needs to charge they can plug into a fast charger and get in the cue. Level 2 chargers should be utilized in areas with significant dwell times, such as hotels, shopping malls, sporting venues, etc. (3-4hrs, or more).

In places like the Minneapolis airport, if funds will be used there, the focus should be on installing dozens of 120v chargers for people to plug their personal chargers into, rather than a limited number of level 2 chargers. The dwell time at such stations is days, and assuming a minimum stay of 2 days, that's a potential of 192 miles of electric range (assuming 4mi/hr).

Fleet investment should be targeted to high-mileage diesel fleets (I'm thinking Sysco Food Distributing Semi Trucks, Target Distribution Centers, UPS/Fedex trucks, etc.) The fleet investment would consume the most power from Xcel energy, ensuring return on investment, and will take the dirtier diesel trucks off the road. Gasoline vehicles should be targeted for replacement last.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Keith Richard over 5 years ago

Yes, as a Minnesotan and Electric Vehicle driver I applaud the efforts by Xcel Energy to find ways to be more inclusive. By having various EV programs that reach people in their community, at home, the workplace, and even school makes this a program which benefits everyone. It's initiatives like this that will lead toward a cleaner use of energy in Minnesota. These are small steps, but I hope will make a big impact over time. Please approve this proposal.

1 Read

Bootstrap_1450828763125
Tom Thies over 5 years ago

Yes, please approve Xcel Energy’s Petition for Electric Vehicle Pilot Programs. I bought a used Chevy Volt four years ago. My old car (22mpg) used 18 barrels of oil per year. My Chevy Volt only uses 3 1/2 barrels of oil per year. My driving lifestyle did not change. I buy wind power from Xcel Energy. My next car will be a 100% electric vehicle. More electric cars will be on our roads in the near future. More charging infrastructure will be needed. Thank you

1 Read

Default_avatar
Rao Konidena over 5 years ago

Yes, I live in Roseville and do not own an EV yet. We are actively considering one though. My thoughts on Xcel's petition: 1) There should be an incentive for residential sector to charge mostly off-peak, and rarely on-peak. Industry estimates are currently sitting at 70-30 or 80-20, 70% of the time residential owner charges off-peak (say 12 am thru 6 am on weekdays). The public charging pilot proposed by Xcel will go towards meeting that 20-30% charging, for people who run out of charge or need a quick "top-off" before heading home. However, this will work only if EV owners will move their car as soon as charging is done. If the EV owner continues to occupy the charging space even if their car is charged, that leads to not only hardship on part of others who need this charge but also this kind of defeats the purpose of public charging. It is not clear to me in this petition if Xcel has thought thru these implications and if so, there is a remedy around this such as an app that triggers an alert once charging is done. Work place charging would have the same challenge. 2) My understanding after sitting thru several presentations on energy storage, state of the utility industry and such topics is - MN is not meeting emissions reduction goals due to transportation and buildings sector, not utility sector. Hence, I appreciate Xcel clearly identifying electrification of buses and including school buses in this pilot program. As a parent who drops of kids at their school activities on a daily basis, I observe school buses idling perhaps with the right intention to keep the school bus warm for kids. I am hoping we will have empirical data from this school bus pilot. 3) Vehicle to Grid deserves special mention. The "grid" as we know it has a morning ramp and evening ramp to meet our energy consumption needs. Not knowing the battery size for school buses, ideally - Xcel charging algorithm for buses should not contribute to either this morning or evening ramp. 4) The data that Xcel gains from these pilots should be transparent. Yes, individual owners ie asset owners names should be masked, however, stakeholders should be able to tie this data down to feeder level. This will inform the industry if incremental upgrades on the T&D infrastructure are a direct result of EV growth. 5) It should be noted (per my understanding) certain EV car manufacturers like Tesla are increasing the range of EVs by a software upgrade presumably based on driving habits of the EV owners, and taking into account risk associated with warranty. It is not clear to me if Xcel has taken this into consideration to address range anxiety, and potentially correct for this in the statistical data.

In summary, this is a good step in the right direction and I support this Xcel petition.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment, and thanks to MN Plug In Owners Circle.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Morgan Vessel over 5 years ago

YES! We need to take every step we can to reduce climate change!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Lydia Murphy over 5 years ago

Yes, I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. The fossil fuel industry is slowly dying and Minnesota should be posed to embrace the renewable energy future and the just jobs that will be created from it. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that.

Thank you,

Lydia Murphy-Ralph

1 Read

Default_avatar
John Keefe over 5 years ago

support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Lauren Stringer over 5 years ago

Yes! The climate science is in and it is clear that disastrous climate changes are already affecting all of life on earth. Whatever we can do now to invigorate a Green New Deal is needed. This proposal will not only be better for our environment and health, but it will also create new jobs and opportunities in the state!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Anne Reich over 5 years ago

YES! Dear PUC Commissioners: As an Xcel customer I urge you to support this plan! Electric vehicles charged with renewable energy are crucial to our state and country's future. Our family has just this week placed an order for our first EV. We are eager to see the adoption of clean energy transportation become routine/normal/EASY for all. Please approve Xcel's program to move our transportation system to clean energy.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Madeleine Preiss over 5 years ago

YES!!! I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that.

1 Read

Bootstrap_10213348134632960
Dean Borgeson over 5 years ago

Yes, I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that. The science is clear and foreboding, we do not have any time to spare in acting against reducing carbon emissions by any means at our disposal. After the commission's disastrous decision in overturning the DOC and ALJ's determinations on Line #3 you must not cause further damage to the people and the future of our state.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Judy Carpenter over 5 years ago

“I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that.”

1 Read

Bootstrap_10101578363405046
Laura LeMieux over 5 years ago

I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that. After the commission's disastrous decision in overturning the DOC and ALJ's determinations on Line #3 you must not cause further damage to the people and the future of our state.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Robert Reed over 5 years ago

Yes PLEASE! Thanks in part to Xcel energy I have solar panels on my roof. I would love to drive an electric vehicle however have been reluctant due to a lack of EV infrastructure. Please support a healthy clean air by doing all you can to support clean electric vehicles. Thank you!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Ross Hunter over 5 years ago

Yes. Transitioning away from fossil fuels as quickly as possible is morally and economically necessary. I urge the commission to support this measure.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Anthony Keenan over 5 years ago

Yes. Xcel Energy's work is important to the transition to electric vehicles, which is an important piece of the puzzle in addressing climate change. Cars powered by fossil fuels are a major contributor to green house gas emissions, and this proposal is a step towards the eventual elimination of these cars.

1 Read

Bootstrap_10156314570014864
Art Eschenlauer over 5 years ago

Yes, it is important to transition to electric vehicles. This would make it possible to use renewable, carbon-neutral sources of energy to power the fleet. This will affect us all by keeping climate change within livable limits; the latest federal report says that we have less than a dozen years to act. Let us leave a livable planet for future generations.

As Chief Dan Seattle said, "We do not inherit the land from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children." Electrifying the fleet is a great way to start living up to this!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Lexi Shields over 5 years ago

Yes! Making the transition to clean and renewable transportation is absolutely essential to our wellbeing! If coporations want to help support this transition, we should let them! As a college student looking towards purchasing a car in the coming years, having electric vehicles more accessible would be a great help.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Lane Ayres over 5 years ago

It is great to have Xcel being a leader in this project. With their lead Minnesota can be a national model for the energy of the future. Definitely I urge you PUC members to support this Xcel proposal. Thanks for your time and "energy" on all these matters.

1 Read

Default_avatar
MichaelPaul Schallmo over 5 years ago

Yes. Developing infrastructure for electric vehicles is critical for reducing carbon emission and mitigating further climate change. As someone planning to purchase an electric vehicle in the near future, having additional charging stations will be very important to me personally.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Michelle Thelen over 5 years ago

YES! I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that. If Xcel’s proposal proceeds, it’ll help kick-start the market for clean cars. That will empower Minnesotans to switch to pollution-fighting electric vehicles, and save them money at the same time. I have had a hybrid electric vehicle for eight years and love it. I will buy an all Electric vehicle when charging infrastructure is more available. This seems like a win-win proposal for The public, electric vehicle consumers, for cities and companies switching to electric fleets. Vote Yes please.

1 Read

Default_avatar
la shella sims over 5 years ago

Yes, I do support and encourage the PU to approve Xcel Energy's Petition for Approval of it Electric Vehicle Pilot Programs. I think it is, also, encouraging that Xcel is willing to do pilot programs instead of being a odds with its customers over the issue. As the public, not only in Minnesota, but world-wide, becomes more and more astute about alternative means of energy sources it shows our willingness not only to think of each other not in the present, but also future generations to come. Pilot programs help us get better understandings of the pros and cons of what we are making important discussions about. Being better educated about an issue is always a good thing.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Mary Ludington over 5 years ago

Yes! I support this plan and encourage the PUC to approve Xcel's Petition for Approval of its Electric Vehicle Pilot Program. I have owned a hybrid car for the past 5 year and plan to invest in an electric vehicle soon. I am very concerned about anthropogenic climate disruption and feel that human beings need to do everything possible -- and immediately -- to drive down fossil fuel emissions.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Mike Menzel over 5 years ago

Transportation accounts for a significant portion of green house gases and this initiative by Xcel would begin the transition to all electric transportation. For the health of our citizens and for the benefit of our planet I urge the PUC to approve this initiative.

1 Read

Default_avatar
John Menjivar over 5 years ago

Yes! Please invest in this! We need modes of transportation that are more environmentally friendly and can help reduce carbon output.

1 Read

Bootstrap_1441260589340896
Bob Kriesel over 5 years ago

Yes, the Pic must support clean vehicles. Our lives and the lives of our children and grandchildren depend on it!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Fred Mayer over 5 years ago

Yes, please support this initiative. As an EV owner and driver myself, I would like to see more convenient infrastructure for individual users. I would also like to see us build the infrastructure necessary to move our public transportation system to electric power. Let's make our state a leader!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Robert Robbins over 5 years ago

Yes. I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate and they are coming whether we like it or not. It’s important that our utilities are centrally included in that transition so the infrastructure is fully integrated with the existing electrical grid.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jenna Coughlin over 5 years ago

Yes. Xcel's proposal will encourage the transition to clean transportation, which is good for the health of Minnesotans as well as the climate. We need leadership from utilities like Xcel to make this happen.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Lauren Boritzke over 5 years ago

YES. Minnesota should be setting an example for others to follow on climate change mitigation. Electric vehicles are an important solution, and Xcel Energy's recent announcement on carbon free energy goals by 2030 and 2050 will help EVs transition to clean powered vehicles. The time is now to invest in our future and transition to a sustainable, renewable energy economy.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Daniel Shaw over 5 years ago

YES. Xcel should be applauded for planning to move the Twin Cities to the forefront in facilitating conversion to electric vehicles. Just as Community Solar and wind energy have been a success because there was an eager market WANTING to switch to clearer, renewable energy, this plan will help remove barriers to a faster conversion to clean powered vehicles.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Charles Lyon over 5 years ago

Yes, I support this proposal. Minnesota needs to lead the country in climate change mitigation.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jack Bohnhoff over 5 years ago

Of course. End-user fossil fuel consumption no longer makes sense. If we must rely on fossils for the near future, let their use be confined to power plants with adequate pollution controls. And the energy derived delivered via the electrical grid. And move those power plants to more earth-friendly power sources as soon as possible / feasible. Electric vehicles are essential now. They must be supported fully with infrastructure and financial support from citizens, industry, and government.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Karol Durdle over 5 years ago

Yes, we should support Xcel Energy in helping MN move toward cleaner transportation options. We can and we MUST take these steps now to improve our air quality.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Mary Adair over 5 years ago

This is the direction we must go. We need clean vehicles across MN for our health and our climate. It is important that our utilities pitch in and support support electric vehicles. We need to do all we can to clean up our climate - now!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Barbara Norblom over 5 years ago

Yes! I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that. We can't let this opportunity get away - it's too important.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Christie Manning over 5 years ago

YES. We need to electrify our transportation system. I support this plan - it allows Xcel to begin building the infrastructure for cleaner transportation.

1 Read

Bootstrap_10100491717378171
Erin McCabe over 5 years ago

Yes! This is an awesome avenue to explore! Minnesota has an opportunity to invest in electric vehicles that could actually do wonders for batteries because of our climate. We could change the world, and if nothing else-the state of Minnesota! As more people are seeking alternatives to fossil fuels, this could be a wise investment! I support this!

1 Read

Default_avatar
Ruth Lindh over 5 years ago

Yes! We must rapidly transition to clean and sustainable transit options. Minnesota can be a leader in reducing our carbon footprint, growing our public transport systems, and turning us away from climate chaos.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Maggie OConnor over 5 years ago

Yes. This is a social justice issue. Communities of color and low income communities bear the brunt of pollution from transportation, even as they often do not drive a car themselves. Transportation exhaust releases toxic chemical and ultra-fine particles that damage lungs, thus predisposing people to, or aggravating conditions like emphysema and asthma. Transport pollution also exacerbates conditions like high blood pressure and heart disease. Please support this step by Xcel Energy.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Dwight Wagenius over 5 years ago

Yes. This action responds to the intersecting issues of climate justice, health justice, economic justice, and so on. A recent study showed the air quality health impacts affecting populations near interstate highways, neighborhoods of lower income and people of color. Enabling rapid expansion of electric vehicle use will help meet the challenges posed by the changing climate and the health challenges of fine particulates and other contaminants released by fossil fuel combustion. Support this Xcel proposal.

1 Read

Bootstrap_10216544488420642
barbara draper over 5 years ago

YES! Approve Xcel's request. Our lives and those of our grandchildren depend it. Reducing our carbon use and electrifying everything is critical. Plus this will help remedy your approval of line 3. The faster we can plug into renewable energy the quicker demand for oil will fall. While you're at it, please look for ways to accelerate the creation of renewables. For instance, community solar got a lot less attractive with your action to change the pricing structure. It already faces the hurdle of 25 year contracts. We need to use price to stop the use of harmful substances, just as we did the tobacco tax. You hold the power of earth's future in your hands. This is no longer business as usual. Please, I have heard your wish to fight climate change, this is not a time to look to precedent and other things that might bind you to the past. This is the time for you to be bold and step forward, leading us into a clean energy future, one in which your and my grandchildren will suffer less.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Connie BlackburnLowery over 5 years ago

YES! We need our utility companies to actively support a rapid, multi-faceted transition to clean energy. Xcel’s willingness to take initiative in the arena of electric powered transportation needs to move forward with the support of the PUC.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Emily Newhall over 5 years ago

Yes, I'm fully in support of this plan. I am fighting hard to combat climate change for ourselves and future generations. Part of the solution in Minnesota is clean vehicles for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition. It's exciting that Xcel is ready to do that and the PUC should absolutely support them.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Karen Nielsen over 5 years ago

I support this plan - at this point ANY step away from fossil fuels is appreciated & the costs associated with it would have to be less than the costs of going forward with fossil fuels.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Paula Bidle over 5 years ago

While the US is lagging in its support of alternative energy sources, Minnesota can still be a leader in the US. The transition from fossil fuels will not be easy, as we have seen in the struggle over Line 3. This approval might be an easier way for the PUC to move forward in a positive direction. The circle of support for a transition away from fossil fuel needs is widening, as we collectively realize that the cost of natural disaster is too high, and preventable. If we value a healthy ad beautiful environment for our grandchildren and their grandchildren, we know with greater clarity that we need to move sooner than we thought, and with greater urgency.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Michael Chutich over 5 years ago

I support this plan. Any steps we can take to remove diesel and gas-powered vehicles from our roads should be supported. Electric vehicles powered by renewable energy are an important part of the campaign to reduce carbon emissions. We need to ramp up our efforts now. Thanks for your time.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Mary Johannsen over 5 years ago

I support this plan because we need clean vehicles across Minnesota, for our health and our climate. It’s important that our utilities pitch in and support that transition, and Xcel is ready to do just that.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Cora Preston over 5 years ago

Yes! Going electric is the right thing to do for our environment for the future and for the Minnesotans. We need to act to reduce carbon emissions and electric is getting more and more efficient and moving away from polluting fossil fuels.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Drew Johnson over 5 years ago

I support this plan! We need initiatives like this to rapidly de-carbonize.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Don Schuld over 5 years ago

Yes. Fully support the electrification effort. You have boosted big petroleums capacity with the Enbridge Line 3. Now its time to support clean energy and clean air.

0 Reads

Bootstrap_10156842698050758
Julia Marley about 5 years ago

Yes! We should be investing in more infrastructure for renewable energy--we definitely shouldn't stand in the way when a private company wants to make an investment that benefits the rest of us. We can't make a meaningful transition to renewables until the infrastructure exits. Please approve this plan.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Alex Carroll about 5 years ago

Yes! Transitioning to electric vehicles would help reduce Minnesota's reliance on fossil fuels, and it would cut down on greenhouse gas emissions. Xcel Energy's project seems like a great opportunity to make electric vehicles an accessible transportation choice by setting up public charging stations. It could help establish Minnesota as a leader in sustainable transportation.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
David Snyder about 5 years ago

Yes! My son and daughter are with me as I type this comment. My son, age 11, says "electric vehicles are the future, we can't keep living this way -- I am worried we will go extinct." My daughter, age 9, says "the more fossil fuels we use, the more pollution we put into the world, and it hurts animals, and plants and bees, and then it can hurt our food and water supply." As their father, and an Excel energy customer and homeowner, I am so excited to see Minnesota taking steps to transition to electric vehicles. My kids are right -- we need to take these and other steps to stop emissions that are wreaking havoc with our climate, our food systems, and threatening the survival of all species on earth, including ours. Thanks for taking this step.

0 Reads

Bootstrap_775242969476508
Leslie Everett about 5 years ago

Yes, I support the plan, and have been a 100% subscriber to the Xcel wind program from the beginning. We need to build out the electric vehicle charging network so people have confidence that they will not be stranded if they buy and use an electric vehicle. Both private vehicles and public fleets need to make this conversion to reduce all emissions, improve public health, and slow the rate of climate change. The rate of the utility conversion to renewable sources needs to be stepped up as well. Iowa is ahead of Minnesota on wind energy as a percent of total electric generation, with over a third of their electricity now coming from wind.

0 Reads