This Discussion channel is currently closed.

Default_avatar
Susan Norgaard almost 6 years ago

What are the environmental impacts on this project? This will have a major affect on the population of birds and other animals that are in the area. I have witnessed on several occasions bald eagles around the lake. I am sure they will no longer be in our area, along with the other migratory birds that come through. This will be the same with human impacts as people will no longer want or choose to live in this area. We have worked our whole lives and are fortunate to call Lake Cochrane our home. Please protect our property, our lives and our investment. I do not want to abandon my property because of the wind turbines. Mrs. Taylor spoke at the meeting that their property is up for sale and how anyone that looks at it, asks about turbines and how close they will be to their acreage. It will have a negative impact on the sale of homes to anyone that lives close to the turbines. How can turbines that are 600 feet in the air with the blades being larger than a 747 spinning on the top not have an impact on the environment and the lives of humans.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Clayton Holt almost 6 years ago

The project area contains many lakes and wet lands which are home to thousands of birds and other wildlife. The Bitter Root project will have a huge impact on the wildlife in the area. The state needs to take into account the long term environmental impacts of the area including South Dakota.

3 Reads

Default_avatar
Lynette Taylor almost 6 years ago

The impact this project will have on the birds and wildlife in this area will be devastating. I personally have seen so many Bald Eagles, Osprey, Kingfishers, Hawks, Snow Geese, Common Loons, Wood Ducks, White Pelicans, Trumpeter Swans, Pheasants, Terns, Owls and countless other songbirds and migrating waterfowl. I've witnessed the thousands of migrating birds attracted to this area because of the wetlands and lakes. Please consider the long term effects of putting a large scale industrial wind farm next to this delicate eco-system. Thank you for the consideration.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Jill Entenman almost 6 years ago

There are many reasons to be concerned about this wind farm bordering Lake Cochrane, South Dakota. I have been studying this subject for about 2 years.

A huge area of concern is that the wind turbine farms are placed in the fly ways of migratory birds as this is where there is the most wind. Therefore, the wind farms will throw a huge wrench into the ecology and survival of migratory birds.

One concern is the American White Pelican. Many see this bird in Mexico while on winter vacation. How many realize that the Lake Cochrane is a breeding ground for this bird that we enjoy watching? The female lays only two eggs and both parents help to incubate. The young fledge at 10 weeks. The bird killing tendencies of these industrial turbines could disturb the ecology and survival of this animal.

Another bird under threat is the American Bald Eagle. In October of 2016, when we were dealing with South Dakota on the threat of the wind turbines, Sue Thompson wrote this and posted a video: "For the first time in the 39+ years we have lived here on our farm we have a bald eagle in our midst and have witnessed its majestic flight as evidenced in this video. It would be an absolute shame if the natural landscape and environment that has brought it here were to be forever changed/destroyed by the proposed erection of [14 (at last count) 400+ foot] wind turbines causing it to leave or be subjected to a possible worse fate of a turbine collision." Here is the link to the video which is on youtube; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKTLYUc5CoM

1 Read