Notice

Notice

View Case Record, GR-16-664

Subscribe to This Case

Comments must be received by 4:30pm on the close date.

Before you respond to this topic please: Sign In or Sign Up
Default_avatar
Jena H 5 months ago

I do not want the rate to increase for MN Power. As someone living in a rundown apt, I do not have the options to save energy by buying energy efficient appliances. An increase in price would be absurd for the quality and service by MN Power. Increase in price by $6 or $9/month is a large increase for the same service. It doesn't make sense and is impossible for people who live on a budget.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Howard McKinney 5 months ago

I am one of the many elderly in MNP service area and do not think they should be allowed another increase. I am looking at my current billing and for the continued increase in the billing for less elc. use than the same period for the last three years. We save and they in turn raise the rate. We live on our S.S. due to many health BILLINGS like many of the elderly without any COLA increases while they get fat. Why should we be punished so the mining industry can be more profitable and give to their ex's? What gives do we as the old people have no considerations anymore? I served and have made and paid my familys way all the time without ever ASKING FOR HELP. NOW WE DON'T SEEM TO COUNT, WHY? You have already given them more than they deserve and now they want more, I have the hope that we can live out our lives without being forced out of our home but it looks like we are second class citizens when it comes to giant power companies who have squandered much of what they already have taken. Please look into this for hundres of elderly in this are? Howard

2 Reads

Default_avatar
dennis schneider 5 months ago

First off, if anything, the electrical grid should be put out so you can join the one you want instead of the one they give you. I have Crow Wing Power just 4 homes from mine. I would WAY rather have them the Minnesota Power, but cant, because they cant cross each others lines. Maybe the public utilities commission should look into that instead of taking from the poor and giving to the rich. I also am on a limited income. We got a $5 dollar a month increase on our pension checks. OMG!!!!! I would like the commission to investigate how much increases Minnesota Power gave there executives and the rest of their salaried employees. I would say if they got .01% like the rest of us, they would have plenty of money and wouldn't need to take it from us. In closing, I would appreciate the commission to vote NO on the rate increase.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
dennis schneider 5 months ago

First off, if anything, the electrical grid should be put out so you can join the one you want instead of the one they give you. I have Crow Wing Power just 4 homes from mine. I would WAY rather have them the Minnesota Power, but cant, because they cant cross each others lines. Maybe the public utilities commission should look into that instead of taking from the poor and giving to the rich. I also am on a limited income. We got a $5 dollar a month increase on our pension checks. OMG!!!!! I would like the commission to investigate how much increases Minnesota Power gave there executives and the rest of their salaried employees. I would say if they got .01% like the rest of us, they would have plenty of money and wouldn't need to take it from us. In closing, I would appreciate the commission to vote NO on the rate increase.

2 Reads

Default_avatar
Kim Louks 4 months ago

This rate increase should absolutely be rejected..Northern Pine county is experiences power outages all the time from Minnesota Power their answer to everything is their not responsible to provide contentious power ..Well understandable but recently I suffered a loss because of power surge that reentered my home..they won't own up to the damage done around the neighbor that costs not just me other homeowners also..No they already get resource costs from us ..which i don't agree with either

2 Reads

Default_avatar
wayne lindstrom 4 months ago

i am from International falls... our county has on e of the loest income per capita in our great state. the increase in utility rate will only hurt us. we depend on timber industry.. not iron and do not benefit from mining industries.. i realize we are a part of this wonderful state but we are struggling without this rate increase... this will make it worse.. please consider the loaction and economic conditions of our county when making this decision. thank you.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Joel Anderson 4 months ago

This utility is not due even a partial rate increase. They do not provide adequate customer service and take a minimalist approach to on-site service for the high rates they already charge.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Frederic Hein 4 months ago

I am not happy about this request for a rate increase. They want 9%, my wages don't go up as fast as my bills. I do everything I can think of to try and save energy. I've purchased many energy star appliances, have replaced most of our lights with led & fluorescent bulbs, we always shut lights off when we leave a room & a lot of the time we just use a flashlight to go do something quick in a dark room. We turn our heat down at night & do not turn it back up until we return home the next afternoon. We don't even turn the heat on in our bedroom, all of these things & yet our bill still keeps going up. Our last bill was $164.00 & our house is only 728 square feet & we are both at work all day. I have a co-worker who has someone home all day with the TV on. He also has 2 freezers & his bills are way less than mine. My wife called MN Power about this and their reply was "You can't compare yourself to others." REALLY!! Then they have this affordability surcharge forcing me to help pay other peoples bills. They say the Boswell Energy Center 4/Renewable Resource Adjustment/Transmission Adjustment have been reduced. Looks to me like they are just trying to keep us paying more instead of letting us see any benefit of these so called reductions.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Bruce Niemi 4 months ago

I have concerns as well about the proposed rate increase and would vote to have it rejected. As a MN Power customer for many years (20+) we have enjoyed reasonable rates and very good service. Over the past several years, however it seems that rate increases have been sought as the easiest way to balance the operating budget. This is too close to a big government approach which says "work out a reasonable (by our standards) set of expenditures and then petition for the revenue to make it balance this year.... and we'll revisit it again next year."
Our utilities need to be held accountable for fiscal responsibility the same as the people they serve. One cannot always buy a new truck and hire a few more employees and then tell the customers the cost increase is really for their benefit. But I digress... My primary concern is this: I feel we are constantly being asked to conserve energy and are given incentives to do so for the good of all. Yet I have been simplifying my bill by dividing the total dollar amount by the Kilowatt Hours used and see that my end "rate" is approximately $.115/kwh which is the same end rate as someone who uses over 6x the amount we use monthly! We are currently building a home with great interest in energy conservation but it would appear that the "smoke and mirrors" that takes place in the newly added line items on the bill nullifies any savings we are trying to achieve. Please understand that an overly detailed explanation as to why someone is reaching into our pocket doesn't lessen the pain caused by having to cut an expense somewhere else in our budget. We can't simply "request an income increase".
My secondary concern/question is: As I read the explanation included with my last bill as it concerns the 2018 proposed increase, the average residential customer will see an increase of 13.5% (from $81 to $92) in their bill. It's interesting the interim increase shows to be credited back netting little to no current impact but there appears to be a bigger concern looming....It's like their shaking our right hand and smiling while their left hand is reaching for our wallet!
Please regulate/simplify the only number that means something to the consumer....the final $$ amount and let us know with clarity the benefit of using less electricity. Thank you.

1 Read

Default_avatar
Steve Grillo 4 months ago

I have concerns regarding the request for a rate increase. In the past, Minnesota Power had a reduced rate after using a set amount of kilowatts. This was especially helpful for customers who heat their homes solely with electricity. I would like to see that reduced rate be considered again. Secondly, we have had more power outages in the last year than we have had in 28 years in Fayal Township, Eveleth, MN. I would like to see this addressed. Thirdly, enforcing the Fair Trade laws will make more of an impact for the steel industry than reducing their electrical rates.
Thank you for your consideration.

0 Reads

Default_avatar
Brian Bush 3 months ago

Minnesota Power is a for profit stock company and they are asking for increases to protect shareholder value and corporate profits, not for increases due to producing energy.

My bill is filled with service fees such as a mysterious $8.00 service charge. We just had friends move her from CHICAGO and they were shocked by the electric rates here. From Chicago!

We can't subsidize corporate welfare and they already lied about the first rate increase to support mining and then got a second rate increase put on the mines.

They need to be investigated.

Attachments: IMG_0296.PNG
0 Reads

Default_avatar
Larry Voss at May 19, 2017 at 1:01pm CDT

I am opposed to proposed rate increase of Minnesota Power My wife and I are seniors on a fixed income. Our primary heat is electric baseboard, as is our appliances and water heater. PLEASE oppose this as it is very hard on people with fixed income.

Thank you!

Larry Voss Hoyt Lakes, MN comment...

0 Reads